Photo orientation

Steve (sdh2903)

Not a big issue but ever since the photo upload issue was sorted I've notice the orientation of some photos is being changed on upload. This is something that hasn't previously happened for me and I'm using same phone and browser.

Is there something that I can do to stop the orientation change? 

It'll be the EXIF information inside the image that is causing it to rotate.  Are you talking Android or iOS?  The upload issue was a memory limit issue, so unrelated, but we did upgrade OS and utilities to new versions, so they could well have been "improved" (intentional between quotes).  But in my experience it has always been down to the way the camera has been held by the user when the photo was taken.  If the phone was in portrait mode, but then moved to landscape without it realising (i.e. the build in tilt sensor hasn't registered it yet), then the phone will store it as a portrait picture, even when on the display looks like a landscape picture.

Look at the controls (on iOS) on the left hand side

check-camera-orientation-iphone-610x304.

The above would take a photo in landscape mode, because the controls are horizontal

iphone-camera-vertical-orientation-610x2

But if you take the same landscape picture when these controls on the left are not horizontal, then you are really taking a portrait picture and these will be rotated as such.

There's an article here worth reading (for iOS users): https://osxdaily.com/2020/01/03/how-check-iphone-camera-orientation-photos-videos/

I'm not an Android person, but I assume it will work in the same way, but just be named differently

Yeah it's on an android phone.

My phone shows in the controls similar and it actually says if it's capturing in 16:9 or 9:16.

I took a couple of pics last week as portrait pics and without any editing the forum flipped it to landscape so the car ended up on its side. If I cropped the image a little and re-uploaded it stayed as portrait. 

It's always just uploaded exactly as I've taken the pic before.

I have noticed this creeping in as well and I use an iPhone.

I will take notice of the symbol orientation before taking photos in future for uploading, but I have never had a problem before recently and I ain’t doing anything different.

• 2 months later...

PRIVATE NUMBER PLATE FOR SALE WESTF ( westfield) £895 ono Contact Eric on 07970204020 

I can send a photo to you on my westfield

Regards Eric Bellis