Westfield Sportscars 40 this year?

Benrobson2999 - Kent AO

Am I right in thinking 1982, the big 40 this year? 

Got to be a good Enough reason for a parade lap at Silverstone classic this year ??

• Like 2

I thought we celebrated 30 years in 2016, when we went round Silverstone?

From the WSC website....

In the spring of 1982 historic grand prix competitor and engineer, Chris Smith decided to design and build a replica of one of his all-time favourite race cars, the gorgeous 1956 Lotus XI Le Mans car. Such was the accuracy and beauty of the car he produced in his home garage at Westfield House, Armitage he was immediately inundated with requests from enthusiasts wanting one for themselves.

By the following Easter in 1983 the company Westfield Sportscars had been created. Further demand for the new Westfield XI replica kit meant bigger premises and staff were required and the fledgling sportscar company was under way.

After the introduction of a new car, the equally well received Westfield 7SE, a decision was taken to fade out the XI allowing the team to concentrate on production of the new kit.

I guess it depends on whether the club should celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first ever 'Westfield' car, as built by Chris Smith in his garage (ie this year), or the 40th anniversary of the creation of the company (ie next year).  I've no idea what 1986 involved, @Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO; was it a production milestone?  Or perhaps it was the first Westfield 7SE?  Can't find the date of the first one!

27 minutes ago, Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO said:

I thought we celebrated 30 years in 2016, when we went round Silverstone?

That was the Clubs anniversary, though, not Westfields.

As for when the “fortieth” is from Westfield Sports Cars themselves, I guess we ought to take a lead from WSC Ltd themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my humble opinion it would be next year as the anniversary of the company, prior to this it was Chris’ private endeavours which later blossomed into WSC.

Just my twopenneth.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gary Taylor said:

In my humble opinion it would be next year as the anniversary of the company, prior to this it was Chris’ private endeavours which later blossomed into WSC.

Just my twopenneth.

That would be my thought. 

My personal take, is that this year, it would be nice, at Stoneleigh and at the Silverstone Classic for the Club to do something, as a tribute, to celebrate/commemorate Chris Smith, himself, and then next year, celebrate the “brands” anniversary, in the same way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Getting pictures working on the forum would be a great 40th anniversary present!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

id wholeheartedly agree with that as otherwise the two become one and recognition of Chris’ endeavours, vision, commitment and the seeds he sowed deserves to be recognised on its own , as obviously without that WSC, the club and the cars we love may never have materialised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

That was the Clubs anniversary, though, not Westfields.

....... and WSCC released this special edition thanks mainly to @Captain Colonial the mad Volvo driver 😁, could we do something similar for this anniversary ? @John Dolan - Chairman @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary @Andy Malone - Editor 

• Like 3

The Club is in contact with the factory to discuss the two anniversaries, more info to follow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1