Local Rolling Road Tuning

DWaldie

I bought the Westfield at the end of Sept for a reasonable price but, for some months it had been running a little rough, particularly at small throttle opening, and getting worse. I've done some tinkering of my own and had improved things a little, but it still wasn't right.

Although registered in 2013, it was a kit from 2002 and had an MBE ECU, not the Omex I was expecting. It had been on a rolling road at NMS in 2018, so should have been set up correctly. But it wasn't.

So, I looked around for a local (ish) tuner. There are a few in West Yorkshire, but I came across CC Motors in Sheffield. The internet reviews made them appear to know their stuff. The owner, Chris, has a very expensive rolling road and spends much of his time tuning race and rally cars. He assured me he understood MBE (but didn't like them!) and could sort my car out.

Long-story-short. It looks like somebody had tried to modify the map, maybe to get through the MOT easier, and had made a mess of it. Chris is certain it's not a map that Troy (at NMS) would have used originally. Anyway, the car is an entirely different car now. It runs smooth, has linear power delivery and revs so much faster. It's a delight, and has 11 more horses :) Their prices were entirely reasonable too. Can't recommend them highly enough. I know where to go now. And they'll MOT the car 👍

• Like 7

Yup, that doesn’t sound how Troy would leave a map. Glad to hear you’ve got it sorted though, it really can make the world of difference, even when it’s, on paper, just a few small tweaks. It’s amazing the difference to drivability and driving pleasure it can make.

All good to hear - does anyone know of any similar business they would recommend in Cheshire East (I’m in Nantwich) please? I got my Westy in June and I just want it corner balanced and have the map checked and corrected. It runs very lumpy on start up (often takes a couple of attempts to catch). Once it’s warm and the ECU drops the revs it’s as smooth as you like. Just for info it’s a 20 plate SEiW FW with a Zetec Blacktop 2L lump on Omex Throttlebodies and a 600 series ECU. Thanks

C3195A78-8E06-4855-899E-588D4E8B5918.jpeg.deddeed574ef1daa0d4f03b5fc1494f9.jpeg

Mapping wise, I'd highly recommend Chris at EFi Parts in Runcorn; it's not that far, and he's done excellent work for a few of us in the Club.

25 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Mapping wise, I'd highly recommend Chris at EFi Parts in Runcorn; it's not that far, and he's done excellent work for a few of us in the Club.

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - that’s good to know, thanks. I’ll get in touch. D😀

6 hours ago, CherryTreeFW said:

Cheshire East (I’m in Nantwich

Dale at Bailey Performance in Broseley near Telford is spot on for mapping 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CherryTreeFW said:

@CosKev - great, thanks I’ll check them out. 😀

34 minutes ago, CherryTreeFW said:

@CosKev - great, thanks I’ll check them out. 😀

They did my car my local rolling road said they wouldn’t touch the map as couldn’t do any better

• Like 1

If this is a recommend a tuner thread - AP Racing Engines in Mansfield.

On 15/01/2022 at 10:26, MR.C said:

Has anybody had any dyno experience with Dennis Vessey at Barnetby?

Has he got a son called Warren by any chance…?

I've just looked on his website actually,and I'm interested.

So I will have a ride through and try to get some idea of his mapping skills/setup.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, MR.C said:

I've just looked on his website actually, and I'm interested.

So I will have a ride through and try to get some idea of his mapping skills/setup.

Thanks.

Which website, there's a few above now. We'll look forward to your comprehensive review!

Hi Ian , its the first website that pops up on google when you type in Dennis Vessey.

Comprehensive review, life's too short for that.

If i go to him in march time and he's any good i'll let people  know.