Is this a Joke

mikef

I am an Eon Next customer.  My fuel bills are increasing as they are for everybody else.

Eon’s response to this is to send me a pair of white socks with a label inviting me to reduce my carbon footprint.

I can’t believe I am the only lucky one to receive this gift and dread to think how many other socks they have sent out to their customers.  It begs the question as to what the cost is to Eon’s carbon footprint?

Does anybody want a pair of white/orange socks?

IMG_0693.jpg

• Haha 2

Weren't they the company that told it's customers to have a cuddle and eat porridge to stay warm and save on bills this year... whoever it was gave an apology anyway.

eta

it was Ovo

https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/ovo-energy-advice-cuddle-pets-porridge-hula-hoop-keep-warm-apology-1394175

I was with Southern Energy who got taken over by OVO, who sent the usual marketing bumf about their fuel being 100% renewable. Then three weeks later I got the notification my fuel prices were going up. My immediate question was... has the price of wind gone up or the sea stopped moving or all the dams are empty? Boils my number 1's...

You know that has been dreamt up by a young media graduate who convinced other vacuous people that this will be a bit of fun and highlight our message.

Older wiser heads probably thought, lets sit back and watch the car crash coming. So often I have sat in a room where such an idea has been floated and laughed out loud, to be out voted because the slick power point presentation made S..t look shiny.

Shortly afterwards idea dropped like a hot stone to disappear into obscurity quickly followed by the person who had the idea in the first place.

Any of us old enough to remember the Hoover free flights fiasco, buy a hoover get a flight to the USA, they were convinced not everyone would claim a free flight after buying a hoover, except people who did not need a hoover bought one and it cost then millions back then.

At least this is a few thousand pairs of socks

Its a joke to the rich people, because they don't care.

But the s&%t is gonna hit the fan this year.

Poor People are already freezing their rocks off, and it isn't right.

4 hours ago, Blatman said:

has the price of wind gone up 

Depends on how much you pay for your baked beans....

Just to add our -

Domestic oil bill now £750 per 1000ltr fill up - I fill up at least 4 times a year so £3000 to £3750 (current prices)

Electric - £120 per month - £1440 (again current prices)

Not on gas so no 'duel fuel' deals to be had.

Current total before any price rises - £4440 to £5190 per year

Think I will have that hot coffee and blanket now - although the coffee uses oil to heat the stove...... Oh yes, before some smart alec says that I live in a mansion - nope - just a normal 4 bedder but in the countryside.

Talk about fuel poverty. 

At those prices, I think I’d be looking at some long term changes. Solar PV and a battery for starters to sort the electricity bill and ground sourced heat pump for the heating.

Short term pain but long term, with the way things are looking, quids-in.

(FWIW, my annual electricity bill is about £350, which is more than covered by the FIT payments. I use about 6.75MWh p.a. on average)

@Blatman I just had a tariff renewal from Octopus. I’m on their ‘Go’ tariff. Somewhat of a surprise, but the new terms are exactly the same as the old ones. The examples of alternative tariffs they offered where scary though…..and as they too are a 100% renewable supplier, my first thought was the same as you….but of course, capitalism. The producers won’t see any reason to sell their electricity cheaply when they don’t have to. Be nice to think this ‘windfall’(!) would be used to build more generation capacity to help reduce our dependance on gas…but yeah, not likely is it.

51 minutes ago, AndrewBClarke said:

Just to add our -

Domestic oil bill now £750 per 1000ltr fill up - I fill up at least 4 times a year so £3000 to £3750 (current prices)

I can still get heating oil for 58.8p per litre including vat via Fuel Tool

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I can still get heating oil for 58.8p per litre including vat via Fuel Tool

I am on a contract with Northern Energy which includes automated fill ups and a boiler service / repair contract. Plus I need fuel additive for the AGA. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Energy is crazy. I came out of a fixed price period and was sent the usual these are you options email. Top one was you bill can be fixed for as low as 300pm it’s currently 130. Dual fuel. Both the unit costs and standing charge doubled 

I'd like to propose is what I think is a simple solution - progressive (domestic) energy prices, progressive VAT on bills, and progressive green levies, the more you use the more you pay, on all three counts. 

This means that Sir Elton, premier league footballers, multi-millionaires in their mansions typically using 50 times as much energy as Fred in his Teesside terraced,  might be pushed toward heating their indoor pools less often, might be pushed towards renewables, and can provide the chancellor with more resources to help Fred. 

It is a win - win isn't it?   

• Like 1