Feeling crap today

jeff oakley

I have been having issues with my shoulder for a couple of years and this week had what was expected to be minor surgery to repair a damaged rotator cuff.

Happened on Tuesday and when they went in via keyhole, they found one completely detached, one torn and a bone spur to remove. Four sizeable keyholes and a popeye arm which is going down.

This was a shock as I have been going to the gym regularly had good movement and could lift decent weights, surgeon surprised, but there we are. Not had to use the morphine supplied so that is good.

Repairs all carried out and recovery fine in hospital but 12 -18 weeks not driving bad and at least 6 month recovery worse.

It is the feeling of helplessness getting dressed a pain, eating, bathing simple things made difficult that gets to me.

Physio etc booked

I then perhaps stupidly got my booster jab and other arm now sore and feeling lethargic but it will pass.

Any useful advice appreciated.

Ouch @jeff oakley, following this with interest as mine is heading that way. Must say that my local Chiropractor helped with laser treatment that eased the pain and freed up movement?

Other than that, follow the guidance, do the exercises and don't rush back to 'normal' or you'll undo any gains.

Best wishes for a swift recovery - where are pictures from the rebuild...

Thanks Chris. 

It appears getting the right help is key. I love and cherish the NHS but the are too slow with things like this.

Wait up to 26 weeks to see physio, then after 10 sessions see consultant. Another few weeks. Then MRI scan, try cortisone and then get an operation.

Physio as soon as they can.

Mine is private due to work and took 4 weeks after deciding to get it done. Now recovery with twice weekly Physio and follow ups.

As for pictures not much to see yet as the dressings do not come off until 21st when I can see more. The bruising is the worst bit but I can live with that. 

Hopefully I will be fixed in time for the lockdowns to end 

• Like 1