Kitnet - any views?

CherryTreeFW

17 hours ago, CherryTreeFW said:

Perfect, thanks. Might be an odd question but do Members pitch up in their kits? Thanks 😀 

Sorry, nearly missed this!

No, there’s a big car park (pay and display) in Knutsford, down by the stream, behind all the shops. So we won’t be anywhere near the cars, tonight, anyway. And of course, there’s always on street parking, in the general area.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Sorry, nearly missed this!

No, there’s a big car park (pay and display) in Knutsford, down by the stream, behind all the shops. So we won’t be anywhere near the cars, tonight, anyway. And of course, there’s always on street parking, in the general area.

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - work (in Manchester) is again conspiring to ruin my social life! I will do my best but just heads up that I may not make it. Bad form, sorry. D ☹️☹️

Damn, sorry to hear that, we’ll miss you, if you can’t. But we’ve got @dhutch trying to contact the restaurant for a last minute place, would you be ok to swap?

58 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Damn, sorry to hear that, we’ll miss you, if you can’t. But we’ve got @dhutch trying to contact the restaurant for a last minute place, would you be ok to swap?

Oh yeah? Sounds good to me if you are not able to make it @CherryTreeFW David?

Daniel

26 minutes ago, dhutch said:

Oh yeah? Sounds good to me if you are not able to make it @CherryTreeFW David?

Daniel

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - yes certainly it would a shame for @dhutch to miss out. I’m deffo not going to be able to make it. ☹️

10 minutes ago, CherryTreeFW said:

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary I’m deffo not going to be able to make it. ☹️

Sorry to hear you're not able to make it. 

However thanks for letting us know, as it was looking like it wasn't going to be possible to add me on. 

Thanks both.

Daniel

We’ll miss you David, hopefully see you at a meet in the New Year! However, good news for Daniel! 

1 hour ago, dhutch said:

Sorry to hear you're not able to make it. 

However thanks for letting us know, as it was looking like it wasn't going to be possible to add me on. 

Thanks both.

Daniel

@dhutch - no problem, enjoy! 

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

We’ll miss you David, hopefully see you at a meet in the New Year! However, good news for Daniel! 

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - yes, I’m disappointed, but there will be other times in the New Year! Enjoy the evening. 😀

On 27/11/2021 at 15:39, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Nothing wrong with many of the FB style groups; the more active ones advertise lots of runs/events. All I can really comment on, is some of the advice given. Much is spot on, and very similar if not the same as what you'd get here. Indeed, many members here, are embers on some of those groups too. 

But there is also equal amounts of wrong, and just plain bad advice. Some, could get you into bother...

Surely that is the case on any group or club, on or off line? Once a group gets a certain size there is more of a safety net, but a lot of the Facebook groups are as big as WSSC and or other 'conventional' clubs these days.

The main online presence of Austin Heavy 12 owners is the FB group, the VAR (conventional club) got themselves online too late, missed the boat. The advise and contacts are spot on, and like here, any bad advice gets corrected quickly. Works well.

Equally, I too am a NWKCOG member, and the main aim is organising events rather than giving advice.

On 27/11/2021 at 10:38, CherryTreeFW said:

I’m thinking of joining Kitnet as another soured of news, info etc. 

Anyone tried it, got any views?

I am on the FB group, which seems fairly quiet. Just googled off the back of this thread and they do also have a conventional website and forum, which appears to at least be free for the first 14 days, at which point, seems reasonable. I also use and post on Pistonheads, outdated forum software, but a big site with good content if you want a wider online posting habit. The kit section is quieter than here, but the DIY section, general chat ares, etc, very good.

22 hours ago, dhutch said:

I am on the FB group, which seems fairly quiet. Just googled off the back of this thread and they do also have a conventional website and forum, which appears to at least be free for the first 14 days, at which point, seems reasonable. I also use and post on Pistonheads, outdated forum software, but a big site with good content if you want a wider online posting habit. The kit section is quieter than here, but the DIY section, general chat ares, etc, very good.

@dhutch - thanks that’s really good context. I’ve been looking at NWKCOG and sharing a few emails with Trev. I’ve held off so far as I’m concerned I’d be too much of a no-show at events (because of work commitments) and that does seem to be the core function of the group. Do you recommend it? Cheers. 😀

On 04/12/2021 at 08:08, CherryTreeFW said:

@dhutch - thanks that’s really good context. I’ve been looking at NWKCOG and sharing a few emails with Trev. I’ve held off so far as I’m concerned I’d be too much of a no-show at events (because of work commitments) and that does seem to be the core function of the group. Do you recommend it? Cheers. 😀

They're a bunch on nutters! Their runs out seem to involve more breakdowns and finger pointing than driving! I've not been to a NWCKOG drive for a few years now, but do pop down to the Stafford pub meet occasionally. I've been the only one in a kit a few times ! They're good company.

22 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

They're a bunch on nutters! Their runs out seem to involve more breakdowns and finger pointing than driving! I've not been to a NWCKOG drive for a few years now, but do pop down to the Stafford pub meet occasionally. I've been the only one in a kit a few times ! They're good company.

@Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO - Thanks, that’s all good to know. I get a lot of posts put up by Trev and others arguing over Vax/ Anti-vax issues which put me off a bit. Too much politics in the real world already - and for me this is supposed to be a break from that! 😀

• Like 1