Kitnet - any views?

CherryTreeFW

I’m thinking of joining Kitnet as another soured of news, info etc. 

Anyone tried it, got any views?

😀F1CA0DD7-F7AA-4810-A834-B0F116613716.jpeg.9f2792ef1ed9e64b81f1d2ecc99b11e9.jpeg

Nothing wrong with many of the FB style groups; the more active ones advertise lots of runs/events. All I can really comment on, is some of the advice given. Much is spot on, and very similar if not the same as what you'd get here. Indeed, many members here, are embers on some of those groups too. 

But there is also equal amounts of wrong, and just plain bad advice. Some, could get you into bother, if it ever, 9often unlikely, but it happens) got picked up on by DVLA/Insurance provider/Police, and some could see your car, ot the relevant bit of it end up in a far worse state than it started out.

The problem is, there's no way, often to tell the difference, unless you essentially know the answer already! Catch22 at it's finest. the other thing that crops up frequently with the mixed marque groups, is that many answers just assume your car is the same as theirs, mechanically/parts wise, and that so what worked for them, will work for you.

This can even happen within single marque clubs, like ours, where a number of different manufacturers have supplied product over the years. It just doesn't happen very often, as usually there are others that can correct the info on the threads, without it becoming personal, or turning in to an agro fuelled slanging match, loosely labelled as banter, to try and get round their own group posting rules! 

17 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Nothing wrong with many of the FB style groups; the more active ones advertise lots of runs/events. All I can really comment on, is some of the advice given. Much is spot on, and very similar if not the same as what you'd get here. Indeed, many members here, are embers on some of those groups too. 

But there is also equal amounts of wrong, and just plain bad advice. Some, could get you into bother, if it ever, 9often unlikely, but it happens) got picked up on by DVLA/Insurance provider/Police, and some could see your car, ot the relevant bit of it end up in a far worse state than it started out.

The problem is, there's no way, often to tell the difference, unless you essentially know the answer already! Catch22 at it's finest. the other thing that crops up frequently with the mixed marque groups, is that many answers just assume your car is the same as theirs, mechanically/parts wise, and that so what worked for them, will work for you.

This can even happen within single marque clubs, like ours, where a number of different manufacturers have supplied product over the years. It just doesn't happen very often, as usually there are others that can correct the info on the threads, without it becoming personal, or turning in to an agro fuelled slanging match, loosely labelled as banter, to try and get round their own group posting rules! 

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - thanks that’s really helpful input. I tend always to come to WSCC for advice, tips and solid knowledge and I pretty well always get it! Thanks for taking the time to reply. That rounded perspective is great to hear. 😀

6 minutes ago, dombanks said:

No harm is joining Facebook groups etc. Can help you connect to the local kit scene. 

@dombanks - thanks, that's what I thought - good cautionary stuff 😀from Dave though! 

On 27/11/2021 at 12:36, Rush Motorsport said:

The track day section doesn’t look very busy!

@Rush Motorsport - you're right. Can't have everything I suppose......😄

@CherryTreeFW I am a member of Kitnet and the founder Colin is a local to me here in Bristol - he drives a lovely Yellow/Black Duratec Westy. They are quite active in this area, very open to any type of kit and don't have any hang ups as long as you are polite and don't stir stuff up - bit like us!

They run a number of excellent track days with PJ's Track Days(Profits to charity) days down here at Castle Coombe or Pembray (Not last year as rules changes).

There are regular monthly pub meets as well as other socials, a good help section and also offers of tools/big kit loans etc.

As @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said, just be careful of the info/answers as there are just as many opinions there as here...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

@CherryTreeFW I am a member of Kitnet and the founder Colin is a local to me here in Bristol - he drives a lovely Yellow/Black Duratec Westy. They are quite active in this area, very open to any type of kit and don't have any hang ups as long as you are polite and don't stir stuff up - bit like us!

They run a number of excellent track days with PJ's Track Days(Profits to charity) days down here at Castle Coombe or Pembray (Not last year as rules changes).

There are regular monthly pub meets as well as other socials, a good help section and also offers of tools/big kit loans etc.

As @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said, just be careful of the info/answers as there are just as many opinions there as here...

@Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO - thanks, Chris, really useful background. In terms of face to face it’s probably a bit far from my stamping ground of East Cheshire, but sounds a good network to be part of. Cheers 😃

6 hours ago, CherryTreeFW said:

@dombanks - thanks, that's what I thought - good cautionary stuff 😀from Dave though! 

I joined NWKCOG as it linked me to others around here, I live in the Westfield local group hinterland I think as it’s 40 mins in any direction to a meet. It was worth it tbh but I agree with a lot of what Dave has to say. Like any advice take it with caution. 

On 29/11/2021 at 20:09, dombanks said:

I joined NWKCOG as it linked me to others around here, I live in the Westfield local group hinterland I think as it’s 40 mins in any direction to a meet. It was worth it tbh but I agree with a lot of what Dave has to say. Like any advice take it with caution. 

@dombanks - thanks for that. Fortunately I’m only 25 mins or so away from the Golden Pheasant in Plumley! 😀

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CherryTreeFW said:

@dombanks - thanks for that. Fortunately I’m only 25 mins or so away from the Golden Pheasant in Plumley! 😀

Though don’t forget it’s drinks and Curry in Knutsford this Thursday, not the Golden Pheasant!

21 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Though don’t forget it’s drinks and Curry in Knutsford this Thursday, not the Golden Pheasant!

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - no worries I’d never forget where a Curry was being had. What’s the planned kick off time? Thanks. 😀

😆 

meet at approx 7.30 pm in the Rose and Crown, (Knutsford), before strolling down to the meal, at the Eastern Revive, for 8.30 pm

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

😆

meet at approx 7.30 pm in the Rose and Crown, (Knutsford), before strolling down to the meal, at the Eastern Revive, for 8.30 pm

Perfect, thanks. Might be an odd question but do Members pitch up in their kits? Thanks 😀