Westfield big brake kit fitting issues

Hafod

Hi all, finally got my big brake kit delivered after a super long wait. Just fitted one side tonight and wondering if anyone else has some advice on the fitting and set up.  I don’t know the torque setting but for the std calliper it’s 47Nm for the the caliper retaining bolts. I will use the same and maybe slightly less for the smaller bolts that fix the caliper to its standoff bracket. 

the calipers are not centred on the disk and look like they need shimming by 0.6mm, should this be done or will it be OK? 

I also see the pads overhang the outside of the disk, see 2nd phot and the are much narrower than the disk friction area. Is this normal, it seems like a fair bit of the pads friction material is not being used? The only way to improve this is to grind away part of the disk edge where the pen is pointing at. 

170BDF7D-338E-4B03-805E-E0EBB50F7AB0.jpeg

877D45CE-9D6D-4A8F-978C-0D52B7C9A465.jpeg

3BAC5DD5-AB42-4CB8-A0EB-15787DA3FEBD.jpeg

Not the best engineering from Hispec, the inner pads foul on the bracket so the cannot be pushed in fully, might be ok when the pads wear thinner. They could have made the bracket a little thinner or put in a chamfer. 

Also have 0.2 run out on the outer edge of the new vented disk, 0.1mm on the inside edge, the hub has almost no run out. Not the best experience so far. 

07315ECC-5A2D-484C-B157-3642541E8A9E.jpeg

E07F42ED-E92E-471B-A105-F7E8EFCF9B1B.jpeg

Disc too big a diameter for the caliper by the look of it (the pad overhang gets worse as you get to the centre of the pad), plus the errors on the bracket of course. Not great is it.

Is there any chance the bracket could be reversed/flipped to solve the small offset issue and the pad not clearing?? It might be it isn't quite symmetrical about the caliper fixing. (I've no idea what they look like so this may not even be vaguely plausible).

Re the offset, I wouldn't fret about 0.6mm TBH, although it would have been nice if it had been correct of course.

For £830 from WF I would have thought it would be better, I’ll give them a ring in the motif they are in this Saturday 

They’re Hi Spec, your damn lucky those run out figures start with a “0.”  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fully fitted now and interesting time bedding the pads in, on cold tyres and cold roads lots of rear wheel lock up which took some care until the front pads started to bed in.  It the started to rain so gave up as I didn’t want to visit the greenery. Will try again tomorrow but it does seem like an improvement on the std hispec 4 pots. 

Now filing the edges of the pads so they fit better on the disk, approx 1mm filed off.