Zetec hunting and ?running lean

DWaldie

11 minutes ago, Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - AO Representative said:

Assuming your ecu is a 956 or 967

Cable

https://efi-parts.co.uk/product/mbe-serial-comms-programming-lead/

There are usb to serial options available, but this serial to serial works with my old laptop.

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary.. May know the best usb to serial option 

Software 

Easimap 5 ...  from SBD website 

Laptop

I use an old dell d630 .. but anything with a serial port...

Or try a USB to serial options  if you already have a laptop.

It's worth diving in and getting the kit, it's not too hard to understand  the software and ecu if someone walks you through it.

It's takes the guesswork out of problem analysis 

Happy to talk through options if a call is easier 

That's really helpful. Software downloaded. I'll wait for Dave's Gadgetman's comments about the USB-Serial option then get ordering. Best long-term option I reckon. I might be stalking you again in a few days 👍

I'm sure I had an 9ld laptop in the loft 🤔

If you get a comms lead from EFI Parts, (who are excellent, by the way, I’ve had mapping done by them as well as having bought leads etc), you may as well get one of the USB to serial adaptors from them too.

https://efi-parts.co.uk/product/usb-to-serial-adaptor/

Like all these things, you will find cheaper elsewhere if you know the precise chipset you need etc, but getting suppliers to confirm the chipset they supply can be a right PITA, so these days, I just tend to go for a supplier like this, and pay a bit more, not to have to hunt around!

Otherwise, OMEX also supply a good USB/serial adaptor

That's great. Keeping an eye on a couple of old laptops on teabay, and I'll take it from there. Something new to learn 👍

I had a failed lambda sensor standard manifold Zetec 1800 on a MBE967, that was causing my engine to idel at 1200, the rpm would slowly drop to about 750, the engine would nearly stall, and then go back upto 1200, before starting the whole process again.  

Hooked up the ecu to a laptop, it it was obvious the lamda was not doing anything once I could see easimap 5.5.

Fitted a new lambda and the problem was solved. 

I got hold of a USB cable (below) for the laptop which worked fine, once the drivers were installed. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-RS232-DB9-Serial-COM-Port-Cable-Converter-Adapter-Support-Windows-XP-7-/183820741704?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

26 minutes ago, McFrancis said:

I had a failed lambda sensor standard manifold Zetec 1800 on a MBE967, that was causing my engine to idel at 1200, the rpm would slowly drop to about 750, the engine would nearly stall, and then go back upto 1200, before starting the whole process again.  

Hooked up the ecu to a laptop, it it was obvious the lamda was not doing anything once I could see easimap 5.5.

Fitted a new lambda and the problem was solved. 

I got hold of a USB cable (below) for the laptop which worked fine, once the drivers were installed. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-RS232-DB9-Serial-COM-Port-Cable-Converter-Adapter-Support-Windows-XP-7-/183820741704?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Did that connect direct to the ECU cable? 

Yes, here is a picture of the connector that fits my ecu. 16375308531577929205324583458105.thumb.jpg.cc1cddc8f2a9796cc1214e1713603670.jpg16375309113455343081399677463216.thumb.jpg.1a795f58e3978a95b9881782e64e0ebe.jpg

Brilliant. I can even get Easymap 5.5 to run on Windows 11.

Now I just need to work out how to use new, unsupported software. Fun times :)

Where will I find if my Lambda sensor is on the way out, and how can I change the fuelling. More importantly, How to I back up my current map?

All these questions and many more. Something to do while she's wrapped up in winter.

25 minutes ago, McFrancis said:

Yes, here is a picture of the connector that fits my ecu. 16375308531577929205324583458105.thumb.jpg.cc1cddc8f2a9796cc1214e1713603670.jpg16375309113455343081399677463216.thumb.jpg.1a795f58e3978a95b9881782e64e0ebe.jpg

What OS are you using on your laptop?

Windows 10. 

On the easimap screen, it was obvious the the lambda reading was not changing.  With the sensor broken it was running far to rich, once the sensor was replaced everything went back to normal. 

I looked at the maps and fueling tables but to be honest, I didn't know what I was looking at. 

A few tuners turn off the lambda adjustment  in the ecu configuration,

It avoids the ecu making incorrect adjustments if the lambda sensor fails 

You need to check lambda is not turned on and if the ecu is applying fueling  correction before you decide the lambda is at fault 

In a similar approach you can temporarily turn off lambda adjustment to see if that settles things down

5 hours ago, Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - AO Representative said:

A few tuners turn off the lambda adjustment  in the ecu configuration,

It avoids the ecu making incorrect adjustments if the lambda sensor fails 

You need to check lambda is not turned on and if the ecu is applying fueling  correction before you decide the lambda is at fault 

I'm a similar approach you can temporarily turn idd lambda adjustment to see if that settles things down

I've ordered the serial cable from EFI and looking at a couple of old laptops. I'm aware that EasyMap is no longer supported, but is there a manual available anywhere? It might save me mithering you guys so much 🙄

Easimap 5 manual.pdf

Attached.

15 minutes on a phone talking you through the software would be beneficial.

1. There are only 2-3 areas in the menus you mainly use.

2. Similarly there a few displays on the screen that are more useful than others

3. A talk through how the various maps work and interact will save a lot of reading.

A simple diagram attached that describes how maps are used in the MBE software

ECu fuelling explained.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - AO Representative said:

Easimap 5 manual.pdf 847.72 kB · 3 downloads

Attached.

15 minutes on a phone talking you through the software would be beneficial.

1. There are only 2-3 areas in the menus you mainly use.

2. Similarly there a few displays on the screen that are more useful than others

3. A talk through how the various maps work and interact will save a lot of reading.

A simple diagram attached that describes how maps are used in the MBE software

ECu fuelling explained.pdf 996.21 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks Trevor. Once I get all the kit and connected I'll reach out to you. I'm sure I'll need it 🤪

So, got my cable and old laptop. All connected fine. I've "Transferred my chip data" from the ECU to laptop, so now have a backup? It did mention that there was a pin (and this was copied across). Does this mean I will need this to edit the map?

Other than adding the Lambda reading to the desktop, it's as it was when installed.

So, what do I need to look for to identify the reason for hunting at tickover? I would like to check the mixture, make sure the TPS is as it should be, and make sure the lambda is also doing what it should. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Incidentally, the map installed is still labelled as the one for the original 1.8 engine. The car has been mapped by NMS with the 2l engine. I assume they just didn't change the name of the map.

Any pointers would be welcomed.

IMG_20211125_164632.jpg

Been doing some research. Apparently, I can't do anything with the current map until I get past the pin. According to t'internet, it's usually 1111, but I found the following post, which might be helpful. I'll have a tinker tomorrow and see if I can get past the pin.

MBE PIN numbers | Vauxhall Owners Forum (migweb.co.uk).....

This might be useful if you have forgotten the PIN number for the map in your MBE 967. First backup the chipfile onto your PC by doing a Chipfile > Transfer chip data in Easimap and allow the existing PIN number to be copied (as far as I can remember you can do this without knowing the PIN). Then open the chipfile (.ECC) using any shareware hex editor. The PIN is stored as a 16 bit integer at addresses 2102h (LSB) and 2103h (MSB). Put the values at these addresses into Windows calculator, convert from hex to decimal and you have your PIN.

For example if the data in the chipfile was:
Address 2102h: 3D
Address 2103h: 04

Set Windows calculator to hexadecimal mode, put the values above in as 043D, then select decimal mode.