2000 Westfield IVA

Wylton

Hi, I'm a new member, so this is my first post!

I'm helping out on a 2000 Westfield.  It's a new build, but an older car that's sat around for a while.  It's almost done now, but I'm a bit confused over some of the IVA issues.  The car has side repeaters on the wings, but it looks like these might not pass, because  the regs have changed since the car was purchased.  Do I have to remove these, blank off the hole and fit them elsewhere?  Also the requirement for an immobiliser; why would this be viewed as a safety requirement?  I have a kill switch fitted, but I understand that the vehicle will need an autonomous anti-theft feature.  Are there reasonably low cost kits available & can I fit it myself (I read somewhere that it has to be an approved installer).  I fitted the kill switch on the transmission tunnel, but I see now that the tester might fail this because it will be viewed as a protrusion.  I was thinking of packing it out underneath so that it fits flush.

Welcome Wylton.

You will need two security features, normally these take the form of an ignition key and steering lock, but if you don’t have one of these then you may need to consider an immobiliser.

Side repeaters will need to be on the outside edge of the front cycle wings to meet the angles of visibility.

15 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Welcome Wylton.

You will need two security features, normally these take the form of an ignition key and steering lock, but if you don’t have one of these then you may need to consider an immobiliser.

Side repeaters will need to be on the outside edge of the front cycle wings to meet the angles of visibility.

Thanks for the welcome Mark.

I guess the repeaters won't be such a big job.  Regarding the immobiliser, I'm competent to  fit it myself, but I'm concerned that the tester will ask for an installation certificate & that could ad £200 to the bill.  The immobiliser can isolate two circuits, which means that we won't need the kill switch after all.

2 hours ago, Wylton said:

Thanks for the welcome Mark.

I guess the repeaters won't be such a big job.  Regarding the immobiliser, I'm competent to  fit it myself, but I'm concerned that the tester will ask for an installation certificate & that could ad £200 to the bill.  The immobiliser can isolate two circuits, which means that we won't need the kill switch after all.

Do you have an ignition key and steering lock? If so that is bar far the easiest option and then you can forget the immobiliser. 

A kill switch cannot be counted as one of the two mandatory security features. See section 13A of the IVA manual.

27DAE58B-F19D-4014-9684-6CEFC31CD997.jpeg.4504834e70865659b027e89a3d472504.jpeg

the requirement to have certification for the immobiliser was removed in 2009.

4806DC17-C76E-4D61-8FBB-649D2112DD17.jpeg.0588481522b562b945236942acc39734.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Do you have an ignition key and steering lock? If so that is bar far the easiest option and then you can forget the immobiliser. 

A kill switch cannot be counted as one of the two mandatory security features. See section 13A of the IVA manual.

the requirement to have certification for the immobiliser was removed in 2009.

No steering lock, but it's good news about the requirement to have certification for the immobiliser being removed.  If I can persuade the owner to purchase an immobiliser, then I'll fit it.  I'll most likely remove the kill switch at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

The top of the seats protrude above the roll bar.  Is this likely to be an issue?  I understand that roll bars aren't actually a requirement for the IVA, but I would assume that the roll bar should be the highest part of the vehicle.

51679521168_57d4a3b54b_z.jpg 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wylton said:

The top of the seats protrude above the roll bar.  Is this likely to be an issue?  I understand that roll bars aren't actually a requirement for the IVA, but I would assume that the roll bar should be the highest part of the vehicle.

51679521168_57d4a3b54b_z.jpg 

It’s a safety issue should the worst happen and looks wrong but not actually an issue for IVA since as you say there is no requirement for a roll bar to even be fitted.

Thanks, I guessed that would be the case.  I'd personally like to get a spacer in there to make it safer; I'll have to see what the owner says.  It turns out that we do in fact have a steering lock after all, so we don't need the immobiliser either.

What about internal projections?  I had fitted a kill switch on the transmission tunnel between the handbrake and gear lever, but I have a feeling that the IVA testers won't like it.

54 minutes ago, Wylton said:

What about internal projections?  I had fitted a kill switch on the transmission tunnel between the handbrake and gear lever, but I have a feeling that the IVA testers won't like it.

A picture will help decide.
Solution might be as simple as a strip of edge trim, or it might need relocation. 
It's a highly subjective area - despite all the definitions in the manual, it's all down to the tester's view. In my case both testers were pleased with the overall package and didn't bother measuring radius' and checking with the sphere. Yet some folks here had completely opposite experience. 
On the subject of repeaters touched earlier - strictly speaking indicators and repeaters need to be E-marked.

Good luck! 

18 hours ago, Wylton said:

The top of the seats protrude above the roll bar.  Is this likely to be an issue?

No, as the others have said, the “roll bar” functionality isn’t part of IVA. A good job, as the style you have there is cosmetic only, and not structural. It’s not that much stronger than the seat headrest, and is more useful when climbing in and out as a grab handle than anything. Many of us do use them on road cars, just be aware of its limitations. (The factory do also make a slightly taller version too, those as above, it’s purely for aesthetic reasons!

What might possibly be an issue though, is the Seat height, with respect to the harness mounting points, if you plan on using four point harnesses. The Sport Turbos are quite a tall seat, and we’re designed for use in the lowered floor cars, really. Which makes them really high in an older standard floor Westfield. The IVA manual details certain seat belt/harness height/angle requirements, I’d check that you’re ok for this.

5 hours ago, Backo said:

A picture will help decide.
Solution might be as simple as a strip of edge trim, or it might need relocation. 
It's a highly subjective area - despite all the definitions in the manual, it's all down to the tester's view. In my case both testers were pleased with the overall package and didn't bother measuring radius' and checking with the sphere. Yet some folks here had completely opposite experience. 
On the subject of repeaters touched earlier - strictly speaking indicators and repeaters need to be E-marked.

Good luck! 

Thanks!

I'm going to flush off the kill switch, but the problem is, of course, that the key has to be in place in order for the battery (+) to be live!  WRT to the repeaters, I checked this afternoon & ours are E marked. I got the wiring in for those this afternoon.   I'm going through all of the fine details of the wiring and some wires that go into the engine bay via the transmission tunnel, were unsupported for more than 300mm, so I'm adding some split trunking.

5 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

No, as the others have said, the “roll bar” functionality isn’t part of IVA. A good job, as the style you have there is cosmetic only, and not structural. It’s not that much stronger than the seat headrest, and is more useful when climbing in and out as a grab handle than anything. Many of us do use them on road cars, just be aware of its limitations. (The factory do also make a slightly taller version too, those as above, it’s purely for aesthetic reasons!

What might possibly be an issue though, is the Seat height, with respect to the harness mounting points, if you plan on using four point harnesses. The Sport Turbos are quite a tall seat, and we’re designed for use in the lowered floor cars, really. Which makes them really high in an older standard floor Westfield. The IVA manual details certain seat belt/harness height/angle requirements, I’d check that you’re ok for this.

Yes, I think that the roll bar will stay, because I doubt that I will have much say over that, as I'm not the owner of the car.  WRT the seat belts, I haven't even got as far as checking those tbh, so there might be a couple of surprises! 

A couple of jobs we will have to do is replace the front wheel studs, because they are 5mm short of the top face of the wheel nuts and I have read elsewhere, that others have failed on this point.  Also the IVA kit that covers nuts, steering and camber parts has to be fitted too.

3 hours ago, Benrobson2999 said:

Team Yellow! :) 

Yes indeed!  It will look very smart when it's finished.  The wheels will be black and the brake callipers will be yellow.  There's a cover for the spare wheel too, with a nice design.  I'm hoping to make some serious headway this weekend, so that it starts to look like a car again!  The scuttle is off  at the moment and the mudguards too, so that the repeaters could be fitted and wired.

Incidentally, are the spare wheel mounts allowed for the IVA?  A lot of the pictures of Westies that I have seen, don't have it fitted.