Steering Column Gaiter Solution

CherryTreeFW

0C4E869D-938A-4407-9F4C-6DA9B8CB2D52.jpeg.5046d5bcba0a91859aa3daf1d169843b.jpeg

@OldStager sent me couple of spare steering rack gaiters (thanks again very much indeed!) after a muse on alternative ways of creating a steering column gaiter to weather proof and tidy up the column/ dash entry point. 

I trimmed the narrow extension off the first gaiter and widened the hole to a diameter slightly larger than the steering column.

The second gaiter had a smooth extension tube at one end (narrower than the bellows section but still slightly wider than the steering column).

That fitted snugly inside the first gaiter so I cut that off and slid it inside. 
The result is that the inner sleeve keeps the outer gaiter centred in relation to the steering column, but neither of them foul or obstruct the steering column. 
The picture shows the outer gaiter a bit “squished” but I’d just replaced it after removing it to take some pictures - in normal use it sits easily against the dash at one end and the rest of the quick release housing at the other. 
I’m planning to fit a Mofast steering column surround, to which I will bind the lower face of the outer gaiter, which probably means I can do away with the inner sleeve eventually. 

• Like 5

Two nice alternative solutions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CosKev said:

I used Carbon fibre tube and a grommet in dash hole👍

Screenshot_20211121-095828_Gallery.jpg

@CosKev - neat, and a very good looking dash overall too! 😀

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 08:55, CherryTreeFW said:

0C4E869D-938A-4407-9F4C-6DA9B8CB2D52.jpeg.5046d5bcba0a91859aa3daf1d169843b.jpeg

@OldStager sent me couple of spare steering rack gaiters (thanks again very much indeed!) after a muse on alternative ways of creating a steering column gaiter to weather proof and tidy up the column/ dash entry point. 

I trimmed the narrow extension off the first gaiter and widened the hole to a diameter slightly larger than the steering column.

The second gaiter had a smooth extension tube at one end (narrower than the bellows section but still slightly wider than the steering column).

That fitted snugly inside the first gaiter so I cut that off and slid it inside. 
The result is that the inner sleeve keeps the outer gaiter centred in relation to the steering column, but neither of them foul or obstruct the steering column. 
The picture shows the outer gaiter a bit “squished” but I’d just replaced it after removing it to take some pictures - in normal use it sits easily against the dash at one end and the rest of the quick release housing at the other. 
I’m planning to fit a Mofast steering column surround, to which I will bind the lower face of the outer gaiter, which probably means I can do away with the inner sleeve eventually. 

glad it arrived eventually, glad they were of some use.

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2021 at 09:50, CosKev said:

How many track days a year are you planning?

If it's only a handful or less I would say renting a trailer is the best option👍

Indeed - very useful! 😀

11 hours ago, OldStager said:

glad it arrived eventually, glad they were of some use.

@OldStager - yes very useful indeed! Thanks again! 😀

Clever solution, it’s what owning a kit car is all about.

I’m looking for a suitable gaiter now😀

2 hours ago, SootySport said:

Clever solution, it’s what owning a kit car is all about.

I’m looking for a suitable gaiter now😀

@SootySport - indeed, it’s what I was looking for when I bought my Westy. @OldStager gets credit for providing the gaiters to make the solution - that collaboration thing is also what I love about the Kit world! 😀

• Like 1

Removanle steering wheel only

2 more advices

1   i cut  out  a jerry can  platic  spout  black spiral flexi filler that goes in fuel tank to fill from jerry can

to length  which was fine des gave me that idea (brakable)

I think fred flintstone gave him the idea

Now i have a piece of large bore heat shrink ran down shaft warmed up slowly  Plus it will cut off if you ever wanted to remove 

And its gave a nice finish and  smooth  if you want a pic any one let me no but its self explanatory 

The first idea i used the wifes jerry can spout she ran out of fuel in car as women do and youve guess it

could not refill car 

Sat outside the beuty parlour for seven hrs till AA  came

I said why dident you go and have your treatment while waiting for AA love

She said i    DID   

Great

spare room again👿

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Barnsley John said:

Removanle steering wheel only

2 more advices

1   i cut  out  a jerry can  platic  spout  black spiral flexi filler that goes in fuel tank to fill from jerry can

to length  which was fine des gave me that idea (brakable)

I think fred flintstone gave him the idea

Now i have a piece of large bore heat shrink ran down shaft warmed up slowly  Plus it will cut off if you ever wanted to remove 

And its gave a nice finish and  smooth  if you want a pic any one let me no but its self explanatory 

The first idea i used the wifes jerry can spout she ran out of fuel in car as women do and youve guess it

could not refill car 

Sat outside the beuty parlour for seven hrs till AA  came

She said i    DID   

Great

spare room again👿

@Barnsley John - fantastic! Hope you’ve got a telly in the dog house! The steering column has got heat shrink on it, I just didn’t like it coming straight out of a hole in the dash. I think I’ll leave the petrol can spout well alone…😂😂

5 hours ago, Barnsley John said:

She said i    DID   

Is that because she's only allowed to spend £5?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Is that because she's only allowed to spend £5?

No she nought petrol can

Des gave me heat shrink

Saved a fiver

Who said we are  back of the door up in barnsley

The old saying which sum chesterfield softys will not have hurd

Up here for brains

Down there for dancing

And of course the old favorite saying

Oh no the spare room again

She just points now to the spare  room dunt say out

Just points

I only mentioned using heat shrink