Uploading images issues

Quinten

I don't think I can change the text underneath the editor, but if I could, there is no fixed size, dimension or image type that will guarantee to work every single time.  I can put a big red banner at the top of the forum, but even then you'll find that some members have great difficulty in understanding the technical implications.

I don't think sending out an email for this is a suitable way of informing members.

We are still progressing with the upgrade, but it is not in my hands at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

I don't think I can change the text underneath the editor, but if I could, there is no fixed size, dimension or image type that will guarantee to work every single time.  I can put a big red banner at the top of the forum, but even then you'll find that some members have great difficulty in understanding the technical implications.

May be worth a go, if it's quick and easy?

I don't think sending out an email for this is a suitable way of informing members.

Agreed. It will annoy more members that it will help etc. 

We are still progressing with the upgrade, but it is not in my hands at the moment.

Any ideas on timescales? Days, weeks, months.....................?

• Quinten changed the title to Uploading images issues

Funnily enough I had an issue over the weekend (never had issues before) uploading some images and for me it was the fact the images at fault were approx 4.4mb. 

I used the standard photo editing program on my phone (Android user) to resize and all was good.....took a few seconds once I knew what had happened after @OldStagerpointed me in the right direction.

The part I don't understand is that I took a series of photos using the same camera phone, under the same conditions all of the same item and at the same time and all the other images were approx 1mb except for these two which were over 4mb? I could understand this if I used my DSLR Camera which is capturing far more detail.

13 hours ago, Glen_I said:

The part I don't understand is that I took a series of photos using the same camera phone, under the same conditions all of the same item and at the same time and all the other images were approx 1mb except for these two which were over 4mb? I could understand this if I used my DSLR Camera which is capturing far more detail

relatively small differences in exposure on even a phone camera, can cause the image file size to rocket. (Typically, the "camera" is capturing way more shadow detail. The funny thing is when you view the picture, the automatic image correction functions of whatever you're viewing the file on may well then adjust the pictures exposure to look "normal". It's just all the extra info is still there in the original file.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 17:04, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Effectively the current system being virtualised, ready for the whole server platform to be moved to new hardware..

So is this an issue caused by the current hosting setup, rather than the Invision software? And or an overlap between the two?

The latter.

It's a combination of the server hardware, it's OS and a security patch from Invision software that had unintended and unforeseen consequences.

We had been discussing moving forward on the hardware platform, (which we currently own), ready for the next big Forum software update. And there was a window in which this could be done. The patch rode a coach and horses through this plan.

It’s a fairly popular forum software.  I can imagine the Invision support forum must be an “interesting” place these days.  It certainly was years ago when they changed from v3.x.x to v4.0… bugs and glitches and crashes, oh my!

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming tomorrows update goes ok, then I will implement a change to resolve this in the morning. I have done this on my test upgrade server and it has resolved the issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant, thanks Ade!

Fixed delayed due to upgrade problems today. However based on testing we know this will be fixed with the updates and some settings changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think I have managed to retrospectively apply the fix to the current server config.  Will keep an eye on performance and uploads to see how it goes...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

I think I have managed to retrospectively apply the fix to the current server config.  Will keep an eye on performance and uploads to see how it goes...

20220207_103854.thumb.jpg.86676cd81d191e660c235b6d57736839.jpg

Thank you, the one above didn't post the other day, 8.86mb. Looks like you sorted it 👍

8 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

Imagick instead of gd lib?

No, far less technical than that.  Can not claim I solved it though, we've got ACW to thank for that