Uploading images issues

Quinten

5 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

@Piars400 can you provide screenshots to show me what you're doing/seeing?  Email me at webmaster@wscc.co.uk because likely your uploads will fail on this thread too...

Thanks - will drop an email over now

What size image are you trying @Piars400?  Is it larger than 4000x3000 pixels?  If it is, could you try to resize it yourself and upload it?  Use this thread if you want.  I'm just wondering if it is the automatic image resize process that is failing here...

2 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

What size image are you trying @Piars400?  Is it larger than 4000x3000 pixels?  If it is, could you try to resize it yourself and upload it?  Use this thread if you want.  I'm just wondering if it is the automatic image resize process that is failing here...

They're all 4032 x 3024 will try to resize to lower resolution

Just now, Piars400 said:

Resized to 3000 x 2250. Seems to work now! Thanks for the tips!

I'd suggest you wont normally need to go more than 800 wide for forum pics etc. On a windows PC I normally use the Windows Snipping tool to select the pic or the part of the pic I want to post and then paste in to my post with CTRL + V or, right mouse button paste. It's quicker than searching for pics rtc.

6 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I'd suggest you wont normally need to go more than 800 wide for forum pics etc. On a windows PC I normally use the Windows Snipping tool to select the pic or the part of the pic I want to post and then paste in to my post with CTRL + V or, right mouse button paste. It's quicker than searching for pics rtc.

Will give that a try now too! Great advice on here! Thanks all.

Now go buy my stuff...

Ok, think I'm onto something.  If I upload a larger JPEG image, it successfully resizes it and shows the preview

image.png

but if I try the same with a PNG image, it fails

image.png

You can see the image preview is broken, and therefore the image will not be uploaded correctly and show in a post.

Using a smaller PNG image does work

image.png

Funnily enough, all these converted images end up as a PNG image...

thanks for your work on this, here is a replication of your experiment,

original jpeg image hi res 4.4mb 6000 x 3375

Rocky-Mountains-High-Definition-Wallpapers.jpg.1307d46a96431ca041a87e9713e8fdbd.jpg

and png of same image

Rocky-Mountains-High-Definition-Wallpapers.png.6b4763c5c08f3e355bb819f330e3cb0f.png

Well, it was a theory, but it does appear to be size related.  I'm assuming you also get the broken image image before you hit Submit Reply?  Cos I think whilst I investigate further, my advice may be that if you see no image preview, you should abort and resize it and retry it again...

i did yes, but submitted all the same, when i was having issues with yt links i knew it would not embed as the preview only showed a link rather the the full image link.

• Quinten changed the title to Uploading images issues