IVA lightpods.....

DIY-Si

Since I've been looking at the bodywork recently, I have been looking at the lightpods. Fitting the lights to them is easy enough, but fitting them to the car is a different matter.

Whilst they still need a bit of trimming and edge strip, I'm trying to find a way around having to drill the front clip to bolt the tail of the pods down. This is what Westfield advise, and they have also said that bonding the pods on is frowned upon by the IVA testers. However, due to the bright orange nature of my car I really don't want to drill the clip if I can find a way round it.

So does anyone have a suggestion?! I can imagine various brackets and things that mount on the front somehow, but they'd all be clunky and awkward.

Would that be considered permanent enough? To be honest, I'm not sure what the issue is with bonding them on, if it was done solidly enough, as quite a lot of cars have bits glued on!

My thought was to form an aluminium bracket to bond under the rear part of the light pod

with small returns bent back to the shape of the clip. sorry about the quick sketch, not great

and the wrong way round.

eleven light pod.PNG

• Like 2

I get what you mean! I shall have to do a small sample with the velcro I've got currently to see how secure it is.

Simon,

Having spent a lot of time trying to come up with a ‘permanent’ enough solution I eventually followed the factory’s advice and drilled/bolted the trailing edge using the rivnuts for the perspex headlight covers for the leading edge. It took me an afternoon to fibreglass the back of the hole and then gelcoat the holes to achieve an almost invisible repair when they ‘fell off’ post IVA.

On fitting the rubber edging to the fog/reverse lights, I did them with lenses fitted using a plastic trim tool to ease the outer casing away from the lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Simon,

After reading this thread yesterday evening, and sleeping on it, I like the idea of the heavy duty Velcro.  Glass a curved plate undet the trailing edge of the pod and slap on the two sided tape. 

It is bl**dy strong stuff so I would experiment to see how much bond you want. Put a larger piece on the underside of the pod and a smaller bit on the wing.  The tape will remove with effort.

I've posted this before but I like the fuzzy side of this tape to cover things such as switch panels as it rounds edges and leaves a pleasing (to my eyes anyway) flocked finish.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your input. I will give the velcro approach a go first, once I get back to that end of the car, and see how I get on. Worst case, I end up drilling the wings. Best case, I have to remove some velcro.

This is what I've used to retain various parts, eg, ecu, battery tray, and aluminium panels.

It does hold very well, so only use enough to do the job. 3M dual lock adhesive pad.

3m dual lock.PNG

• Thanks 1