Breakdown Cover

DWaldie

I've just tried to transfer my AA cover to the Westy, but they have declined. Neither RAC nor Green Flag can identify the car. Who are you covered with?

I've never told the AA about any of my car changes as whenever I ring them to bring the annual renewal price down, part of their spiel is reminding me that I'm covered in any  car I happen to be in. Only when I've bought European assistance have I had to state the vehicle, and they've always managed to accept a Westfield in the past, although I may have had to tell them it was like a Caterham.

I also use Autoaid.

I have had to use their services in the past and they where extremely good.

12 hours ago, BobMet said:

I've never told the AA about any of my car changes as whenever I ring them to bring the annual renewal price down, part of their spiel is reminding me that I'm covered in any  car I happen to be in. Only when I've bought European assistance have I had to state the vehicle, and they've always managed to accept a Westfield in the past, although I may have had to tell them it was like a Caterham.

The same. I've not used the AA for a while though so it may have changed. (I use the recovery supplied by APlan now, who are also very good).

Did actually use the AA recovery on the Westfield once, seven or eight years ago. No issues at all.

I extended the AA cover to European, for a trip to Le Mans one year, and like Bob said, that was the only time I had to declare a specific vehicle.

Whenever I renewed the AA cover, I also made a specific point of asking whether recovering a kit car would be included.

The only reason I gave the AA the boot, was getting sick and tired of playing the annual renewal massive price hike/I'm going to quit/here's a special offer to tempt you to stay game.

I’m In the RAC.. I’ve never specified any car as I’m covered as the driver…they recovered my Westfield twice… once when I ripped the sump open and again after my engine fire… 

They weren’t going to recover after the fire at first but as the car was still moveable they left it to the discretion of the RAC call out engineer.

I've been with the. AA for over 20 years. Fortunately only needed their help a few times but I've  always been  happy with their service. I have personal cover rather than vehicle specific. However when the westy needed recovery the guy even took his time to remove the front number plate so he could load it without risk of damage  and tape the body work so the lighting board cable didn't  scratch the body work and I didn't have to ask him 

I use start rescue, I've only had to use them once with the Westi (broken throttle cable) and it's no problem, we initially used them when the kids first had cars and they never had issues.

I've tended to use the car based cover but they also do personal (household) cover which I'll look at once my daily driver needs to be added.

Have been with RAC and now Auto Aid, and rescued by them both. With RAC it was a couple of flat batteries and a fan belt (rescue guy drove to a parts factor 20 miles away and got a new one) in our MX5's, and Auto Aid for a recovery in the Westfield. They couldn't 'identify' the Westfield because it is on Northern Ireland plates, and when we got around that, they still didn't know what a Westfield was, but came out none-the-less knowing it was some sort of kitcar.

WHICH magazine recommends Start Rescue.

Autoaid 

Only had to use them the once, explained it was a Westfield on the call with very little ground clearance.  No issues at all.

IMG_20200831_164756.thumb.jpg.90b1c9e715f99e1f6d250b620aa6c0e1.jpg