So... Brexit rant, once again

maurici

2 hours ago, Alan France said:

Fully respect your choice but I did my own research and was fully informed before I voted.  To suggest I was not qualified or not equipped to make an informed choice is not really accurate or helpful.

I’m genuinely intrigued how you could be fully informed, when the details only really emerged several years later?

1 hour ago, jim_l said:

Give yourself £1300, take out an Average UK Rent, Energy Bills, Council Tax, Food and household, Clothing, a phone, basic TV and internet, a little for prescriptions, optical or dental care, bus fares to work, etc.  It will have run out long long before you get a car or a pet!

and how has brexit solved this? Cost of living since has increased, min wage hasn’t. I hear your theories of a higher wage society, however if all wages were to raise what happens? Everything increases in price further, therefore making any wage increase negligible anyway? If everything increases in price we’ll lose even more export trade which will lose jobs and we’re in a position far worse?

1 hour ago, jim_l said:

It is a shame you are so removed from the reality of life

in the same way you think that there are a minute amount of people are affected by the issues of working and trading in Europe! The reality is far different.

I think we should re raise this post in 5 years time to see who’s right or wrong or if we’re all f***** !

I also think we should leave discussions on brexit and covid for elsewhere and stick to silly impractical toy cars. :db-westy:

2 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I also think we should leave discussions on brexit and covid for elsewhere and stick to silly impractical toy cars. :db-westy:

Hear hear… 

Edited by Kingster
Blinking autocorrect!

1 hour ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I agree, though it might be unfair to Maurici if he posted 3 or 4 pages asking for our input, then we ignored him?   I do believe it was 'civil and mostly realistic' as requested. 

10 hours ago, maurici said:

Well i live in a working town. In every driveaway there is a caravan and a dog.

The boat to spain and the eurotunnel is full of caravans... so... some of them.

Racecar... applies to anything you want to take with you. As ive said... caravan, bike, kayak... whatever.

You talk like if i was rich and had rich kid actittude... but im quite low middleclass. 

All the other stuff is way too deep for my understanding. 

So is that it seems. The only items that require a Carnet are non-road registered vehicles and that includes race cars. If the race car is road registered it doesn't need a Carnet, just a green card (proof of insurance). Cars and cars towing caravans now require a green card (IE proof of insurance) but that's nothing new to most of us, and maybe a £5.50 IDP (International Driving Permit. I have two as there are different specs for different EU countries, which is NOT the fault of the UK government. Cost me about 12 quid all told including pics from the photo machine) from the post office. So that's why the tunnel is full of caravans, 'cos almost nothing has changed and if there is extra cost, it's much less than a full tank of fuel. We always had to carry proof of insurance, it's just that now we have gone back to a green card. Big deal.

As per the guidance we have received via GBCC and their governing body: – If your race car is road registered and going to Europe for racing purposes then as long as it has insurance and a V5 it DOESN’T need a temporary movement certificate. (ie ata carnet) – BUT this has yet to be tested!

If your car is NOT road registered and you don’t have a V5, or it is being transported by someone else – like your team – you WILL need an ATA Carnet or temporary export note. (See Below) – But once you have purchased your Carnet it will last 12 months.

If you are UK race or rally licence holder you can access a special arrangement Motorsport UK has secured with the Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce (GBCC) for Motorsport UK members of a fixed price processing/arrangement fee of £240+VAT  PLUS an additional payment which is the Premium. The premium can either be a refundable deposit of 40% of the vehicle’s insured value or a non-refundable insurance premium to cover the 40% proportion of the premium - from here:

https://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/brexit-rules-drive-race-europe/

Caravan stuff here:

https://www.salopleisure.co.uk/press/articles/touring-caravans/towing-a-caravan-in-europe-after-brexit/12321#:~:text=What you need to know,t recognised on its own.

Euro-tunnel guidance here:

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/post-brexit-travel/

As for towing the non-road registered race car with the additional expense of a Carnet for the race vehicle, whilst I agree it is a new expense, if it's actually a deal breaker, so would almost any trip in to the barriers at any race circuit at any sort of speed. But that can't be blamed on Brexit I guess. No I think the issue at heart is that by your own admission you found out the hard way and now you want to vent and blame all the evils of the world on Brexit. I'd feel the same way, but I wouldn't feel so ready to go blamethrowing before gathering some actual facts rather that spewing out anecdotal "evidence"

The Oilive Oil rant was bogus too. There are no restrictions on food, meat, veg or processed products coming into the UK for personal use from the EU. I have no idea what the limits are but a massive suitcase full of olive oil, half a pig and 10 bottles of Rioja probably won't pass the personal use test.

Don't just read the first page...

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-into-great-britain

The NHS numbers were dealt with by Jim_i and driver shortages by many others. Which leaves us with what?

Well remainers still feel aggrieved and at the moment they are having an "I told you so" era and it's easy to see why. But we are at the very start of the UK's new relationship with Europe and the rest of the world. Nothing is forever, especially in politics. Many things will improve. Some will not and some will have to be worked around in some fashion.

Attitudes will change, opinions will change.  

I agree with others. Lets come back in 5 years and re-assess what we said here because here and now, it's waaaaay too soon to be drawing conclusions and passing judgement on Brexit and declaring a failure.

• Like 2

Still, not too many actual benefits and a load of extra hassles.  Might also be worth mentioning that you all lost your right to live and work anywhere in the EU. You are now limited to 90 days of EU travel every 180. Thats without counting the very real pain caused to countless families who got caught up in and are now forced to spend a  great deal of time apart. 

So Original question was... What was the point? who benefited? 

A bunch of extremely rich financiers

Also I already had to pay a carnet( that I can't get back) on my car coz it was towed in by somebody else

Sorry to go on about it after you thought you'd nicely wrapped it up with a closing speech but...

How many business' are going to go under?  any exporters?  Farmers?  Fishermen? The list of problems caused by this is literally endless.

Its all ok though because we can still tow our caravans through the chunnel

22 minutes ago, scoob said:

Might also be worth mentioning that you all lost your right to live and work anywhere in the EU. You are now limited to 90 days of EU travel every 180. Thats without counting the very real pain caused to countless families who got caught up in and are now forced to spend a  great deal of time apart. 

I can still work and live anywhere I want in the EU. What's different now is the level of admin required, which has increased as no doubt has the cost. So if I now wanted to emigrate to an EU country it's similar to what I would have to do for any other country in the world, IE I would have to comply with whatever rules each country wants to apply to immigration applications, whether it's France or Australia. Like energy, it isn't lost or created, simply altered. I'm not saying it's good or bad and I'm not saying that it is either cheaper or more expensive. The basic right has not been lost at all. It's the ease with which I can emigrate to the EU that has changed. If I want to, I can. It's the new terms that we don't like which is the point and I think the distinction when discussing these things is important.

5 minutes ago, scoob said:

Sorry to go on about it after you thought you'd nicely wrapped it up with a closing speech but...

How many business' are going to go under?  any exporters?  Farmers?  Fishermen? The list of problems caused by this is literally endless.

Its all ok though because we can still tow our caravans through the chunnel

Now you're ascribing a complete set of thoughts to my post. I wasn't saying anything of the sort. I was dealing with those specifics because there are clear and obvious holes in them

Of course it's not ok for anyone to suffer any hardships as a result of a political decision, whether those suffering agree with the decision or not. But there are always good and bad consequences when these huge decisions are made. They are unavoidable.

I've just tried to see if being in the EU was a net cost or benefit to the UK

As you can imagine there is no clear answer. Lots of waffle.

17 minutes ago, Arm said:

I've just tried to see if being in the EU was a net cost or benefit to the UK

As you can imagine there is no clear answer. Lots of waffle.

😆 nice one

10 hours ago, jim_l said:

though it might be unfair to Maurici if he posted 3 or 4 pages asking for our input, then we ignored him?

Fair point 😁

Very interesting chat with a chap who works for one of the big pharmaceutical companies supplying the covid vaccine. 

As neither of us voted for brexit it was effectively an impartial statement to say being out of the eu definately helped the  uk vaccine situation.

• Like 2