Found - Westie for (very) tall driver sought

jaykay42

Hello

Instead of worrying about storing your car over the winter, why not move it on to a new club member who would give it plenty of use?

I'm looking for a very certain spec car in order to fit a very tall driver with huge feet. I sat in a few cars, thanks to their kind owners, and hence have established that a) I do fit in (some)

and b) the required spec:

- definitely a wide body 

- lowered floors 

- top mounted pedal box

- type 9 gear box (and suitably narrower transmission tunnel)

The more of the above boxes ticked, the better.

Ideally, you are tall yourself and know your car so that it goes from one "giant" owner to the next.

Also, I need the car to have weather gear and ideally not run a Pinto engine.

And while we're on the dream list: not red, there's something about red cars I don't like. And yes, my current wheels are red (go figure).

I'm in North Devon - for the right car I have no problem with travelling.

Please just get in touch!

• 3 weeks later...

im 6'4" with size 12 pedal dabbers. the only mods I did to my standard wide car was to space the master cylinders further into the engine bay, bolt the seat to the rear bulkhead, and bring up the support under my knees to draw my legs in

I've been racing with that set up successfully for several years now

• Like 1

I have a GBS Zero with lowered floors and full cage with all of the other requirements you are looking for and runs a c20xe on twin 45’s

is mot’d till next August the only thing it is not is a Westfield……I 

would be looking for 8.5k for it

craig

On 17/10/2021 at 21:10, jaykay42 said:

the required spec:

- definitely a wide body 

- lowered floors 

- top mounted pedal box

- type 9 gear box (and suitably narrower transmission tunnel)

To get all the options above in one car, I’m pretty sure it would need to be customised by a previous owner, to get that combination.

From memory, standard lowered floors only arrived after the factory stopped making Type 9 tunnel cars and top mount pedals, for anything but SEiGHTs. (All the cars manufactured since the mid 2000’s or so onwards that have Type 9 gearboxes, actually use the MT75 tunnel car, however, my understanding, was that on the MT75 chassis, it’s the passenger side that gets narrowed, not the drivers side.

However, the good news, is that lowered floors aren’t that hard to make, for anyone with some fabrication/welding ability. So could be retrofitted to an earlier chassis that had the other bits you want.

• Like 1

Take it from someone who has had 3 Westfields and is a taller than UK average, you only really need to start off with a top mounted pedal box, and if your hips are wide, maybe a widebody.  None of mine had lowered floors, but all had top mounted pedal boxes.  Current SEiGHT has JK seats to increase seating space to maximum, a detachable steering wheel to bring the wheel a little more forward to the driver, and a taller windscreen so you can look through it, rather than at the top of it.

Of course, it's nicer to start off that way, but you may wait for a long time till that happens, when you could have done the easy mods yourself on the car that's available now

• Like 2

On 08/11/2021 at 19:57, Craigib76 said:

I have a GBS Zero with lowered floors and full cage with all of the other requirements you are looking for and runs a c20xe on twin 45’s

is mot’d till next August the only thing it is not is a Westfield……I 

would be looking for 8.5k for it

craig

Hi Craig!

I'm sure interested. Have you got more details + some photos, please?

• 1 month later...

Hi 'JayKay'

so we met yesterday and you tried sitting in my car, and saw different seat options and floor pans….but it worked fine….

standard widebody

2005 model  as dave says driver side is wider…from memory, depending on level & thickness of interior trim it's definitely 10mm wider, possibly up to 20mm wider than passenger side

type 9

floor mounted pedals

old style Westfield vinyl sports seats jammed back against the rear bulkhead

removable steering wheel making it easier to get in/out

but I'm afraid it sold this morning, pending collection…..but then again it was dark red!

Looking at the above comments and after our discussion yesterday perhaps you should try not to be too prescriptive at this stage:

lowered floorpans can be retrofitted

the pedal box position can (with patience and a bit of fettling!) be altered, although we've established that the position mine are in works ok for you

a GRP race seat (Tillett or similar) bolted to the floor (using low profile mounting brackets) as far back as possible, would probably work very well

you can change a 'fixed' steering wheel to one with a removable boss, again this can be done by someone with the relevant welding experience and I'm sure many club members have done this 

so maybe find the right coloured car !! with your desired engine capacity and a Type 9 gearbox and go from there….??

BTW in my opinion the Zero is an extremely well engineered car and the c20xe is a great engine, heresy I hear you say?…well, not really, but it's not a Westfield! Good luck with your search.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Gareth!

I am open to a Zero - it's only the predecessor to the Zero I haven't heard many positive comments on (preparing myself to take flak for this).

Yes, I agree with you: colour/engine/gearbox combo at this stage more crucial. 

I was hoping to prompt some tall owner into selling their car to another tall owner, not someone who will reverse changes they will have made to fit in, but actively appreciate them.

Thank you again for your generous help!! 

I'll get there and find one!

• jaykay42 changed the title to Found - Westie for (very) tall driver sought

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.