otp96

Started to sort out the loom to move all the fuses to the ECU tray to help keep the engine bay looking clean. Removed many connectors and shortened a lot of unneeded cables that go back and forth in the transmission tunnel. Very clear that not much development has happened with the loom since the early days of Westfield. Once finished this should have a lot less connectors and lengths of cables to save weight and reduce losses in the electrical circuit. Once everything is in place, I will try and show how I have cleaned the loom up for anyone who is planning on doing this conversation.

I was very close to buying a PDM from ECU Master that would be the ultimate setup, but thought of better things I can put my money towards at the moment. This might be another upgrade another year though.

Here’s a photo if the beginnings of the rats nest…

2830873D-448A-4615-A401-296D80F2F7BE.jpeg.3b7f24a8979f26b21ab64c31c09f2819.jpeg

Once some new parts have arrived I will get another photo of how the fuses and relays will be placed.

• Like 4

On 03/11/2021 at 17:23, otp96 said:

I am currently in two minds to go for the Westfield 250 brake master cylinder or for a dual system with a bias bar.

If anyone has got any feedback about these options then this would be hugely appreciated!

I converted to dual system with a bias bar as part of my zetec to Ecoboost conversion and would recommend it. It's not a lot of extra time or money while you have the engine out and the exhaust has not yet been made.

The shorter MCs give you more space away from the exhaust.

Ability to fine tune the balance for the weather or track.

Once setup I've not adjusted mine but it's there if I want it. 

11 hours ago, otp96 said:

@Tim Reid (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AOthat is also a very good point about the shorter MCs giving me more clearance. I have looked at the AP’s single MC for a dual system. But I am sure the Wilwoods would be just fine as I’ve not heard anything bad about them.

I looked at the AP ones too but as I wasn't certain on the sizes I was advised to buy the Wilwood ones because they are cheaper to buy and test.

Now they are in I cannot see a reason to change them.

• Like 1

The new fuse and relay box is coming alone nicely now. Got all the chassis loom connected up and now just need to sort out the ECU fuses and relays. Once I have ran the new cables up the car for the headlights and got some new connectors for the 60 Amp fuse. I will then test everything is working as it should before I wrap the loom up to make it tidy again.

Will also replace all the relays so they match and fit under the cover.

B97A8F97-7569-4DAC-B940-F9003306A8EC.jpeg.1044299ba9006ff5bcb93c0daf1195b9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fuse and relay box now finished with the power and coil signal cables ready for the 14 pin plug. I have temporary added a power line out of the fuse so I can power everything up. This will be replaced once I know the length of the new cable.

Was planning on working on the pedal box but due to waiting for some parts I will move onto the gearbox mount and fuel lines. Hopefully Dave Gemzoe parts will be arriving early next week along with the engine adapter plate for the gearbox so I can crank on with getting the engine mounts sorted.

AFBCA63B-05DA-4561-A306-99C587394218.jpeg.45511918bed954ef8d0d7ffa4557c642.jpeg

49D482A2-1077-497A-8D4A-ADE00CB63C4C.jpeg.17251e98e810865950990b692726ca47.jpeg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Lee1980 said:

Looks very neat 👍

What's your plan for mounting the ECU? Where will that go?

Thank you ,

That's the plan with this build. I am very OCD when it comes to how things looks. I think if it looks a mess, then you wonder what else is a mess with the things you can't see.

The ECU will sit on the tunnel just behind the two grommet or on the back of the scuttle where the heater box used to sit. 
Also if anyone wanted to move all the fuses like this, I found it missed everything behind the dash, even with the heater vent sticking out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, otp96 said:

The ECU will sit on the tunnel just behind the two grommet or on the back of the scuttle where the heater box used to sit. 

You may find the tunnel top gets warm with use and hence may not be the best location for the ECU. My S2000 tunnel top gets hot enough to turn an Iphone display black in high ambients (30-35 Degrees) c. 

8 minutes ago, otp96 said:

Also if anyone wanted to move all the fuses like this, I found it missed everything behind the dash, even with the heater vent sticking out.

Nice work. I like the relocation of the main fuse and the well insulated positive post too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

You may find the tunnel top gets warm with use and hence may not be the best location for the ECU. My S2000 tunnel top gets hot enough to turn an Iphone display black in high ambients (30-35 Degrees) c. 

Nice work. I like the relocation of the main fuse and the well insulated positive post too.

Thank you for the warning I will bear this in mind. May try and mount it on the back of the scuttle, I have plenty of holes from the heater that I can use for mounting the ECU. I may also put some heat reflective tape on the top tunnel panels in the ECU area to help if it does get that hot.

Thank you for the kind comments.

• Like 1

Last night I offered up the gearbox to see what needs doing to it for it to fit. To get it to sit in the right place the mounting points are a little off. Instead of adding a welded plate in the tunnel, I am hoping to make up a new bracket that should hopefully work off the original mounting plate for the Type 9's. My main concern is the gear lever being a little further back and it not lining up with the carpet. But I can worry about that later... Now I know how much space I have to play with in the tunnel, I will start to think about the fuel feed line. I also need to think about the remote reservoir for the master cylinders. Any ideas on a neat solution for placement / location away from the exhaust then that would be hugely appreciated. 

I have also contacted SCS Delta if they sell a mount for the GDI6 ECU. They don't, but they have handily sent me a drawing of a mount that they was going to put into production, but due to the cost of injection moulding they haven't. So instead I am hoping to 3D print it. If anyone has the ability to 3D print and is willing to help then this again will be hugely appreciated.

37 minutes ago, otp96 said:

If anyone has the ability to 3D and is willing to help then this again will be hugely appreciated.

calling @Paul Aspden The 2nd a Mofast opportunity perhaps for the SCS Delta ecu owners?

• Like 2

These pictures of my master cylinder set up may give you some Inspiration 

mine is the 2.0 ecoboost, I’m not sure how your exhaust will run but I’m sure it’s similar 

I’ve customised the AP master to run remote reservoirs fixed to the bulkhead. 

I then had the exhaust insulated where it passes the M/c 

avoided using the sport 250 MC, it’s poorly made. If you got twin cylinder you should have plenty  of clearance for heat. 

the site isn’t letting my upload any more pics for some reason. 

EB38FE3E-8CDF-45CB-9B2C-359C1DB7D074.jpeg.2e68b0a5a95f205889af8b49a61e38d6.jpeg

3CB7FB05-FF1A-42FE-91B0-B4BE14D0B7DC.jpeg.792fa628b9ef553560e44bc15b58f2ff.jpeg

4 minutes ago, DMc said:

These pictures of my master cylinder set up may give you some Inspiration 

mine is the 2.0 ecoboost, I’m not sure how your exhaust will run but I’m sure it’s similar 

I’ve customised the AP master to run remote reservoirs fixed to the bulkhead. 

I then had the exhaust insulated where it passes the M/c 

avoided using the sport 250 MC, it’s poorly made. If you got twin cylinder you should have plenty  of clearance for heat. 

the site isn’t letting my upload any more pics for some reason. 

EB38FE3E-8CDF-45CB-9B2C-359C1DB7D074.jpeg.2e68b0a5a95f205889af8b49a61e38d6.jpeg

3CB7FB05-FF1A-42FE-91B0-B4BE14D0B7DC.jpeg.792fa628b9ef553560e44bc15b58f2ff.jpeg

That is very neat, I do like the look of it! My exhaust will be running in a similar path, but I may have to route it closer to the pedal box bulkhead due to my kind of frame. Thanks!