Starting my first build soon... looking for advice on which SDV car to get

RizFizz

On 12/10/2021 at 18:54, RizFizz said:

Nope it wasn't :)  I think that's exactly what I'll try and go for: 1.6 with it's 5 speed gearbox from a mk2, and a torsen diff from the 1.8

This is exactly what I've done, but keep an eye on diff ratios. Between Mk1 and Mk2, you can get 3.6, 3.9, 4.1 and 4.3 I think but open to correction on this.

I have a Mk1 115bhp 1.6, 5 speed box, and I've put a 3.6 diff in it from a Mk2 6 speed. With the standard power I'd say the 3.9 diff might be a slightly better match for the engine, but I might just be using that as an excuse to add more power to match the 3.6...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RizFizz

I built a SDV using a 2004 1.8 Mk2.5 donor. I can't help with really technical bits like diff ratios but I know what it takes to bolt it together and make it work. You end up with a really nice car and mine has been on a few track days and it handles fine. And as you stated the choice of donor vehicles is much better. Check the BHP by year as Mazda kept changing the output depending on which models they wanted to sell, some years have much better power. My opinion is you should consider the Mk2, especially as it has been done before and you will go into it aware of the differences. DM me if you have any specific questions, happy to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for all the advice!  I now have a Mk2 1.6 donor car and 3.6 torsen diff. I got a decent deal on the diff, and although it's not a 3.9 as recommended, needing to add a bit of power to make it work better doesn't sound like a bad route to go down either :) 

Slowly starting to pull it all apart- getting the uprights free seems to be the hardest part so far!

• Like 2

Congrats, and best of luck with the build. Honestly, you'll only really notice the lack of power for the 3.6 diff at low revs. Once it's over 2k rpm, it's perfect for it, and gives you really nice gear ratios for some winding back roads!

Also if you're talking about getting the rear uprights free from the drive shafts, there's no need. I just left mine fitted.

For all the other disassembly, plusgas, a big breaker bar, and a set of 6 sided sockets (not 12 sided ones) are your friends. Also make sure you label every electrical connector you disconnect! 

• Like 1

Hi Rizfizz I’m just about to pull my 4.1 open diff out and swap for a 3.6 Torsten 2 

LSD on my mk 2.5 1.8vvt just waiting for seals and paint to tart it up! Be interesting to see how it feels after???

44DF025D-C56C-4102-8627-959C45877AB4.jpeg

• Like 2