Peak District meet Sat 25th Sept, 10am, Hulme End

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

3 hours ago, Curley said:

Will there be a peaks run next weekend as well

Depends on the weather, when do you need to know by?

@AndrewBClarke @neptune @NigelO @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary let's hope we can get some fuel, Bakewell only had diesel this afternoon, luckily I filled up on the way back last week.

Are you going north 

lady

on ya run or south or inbetween

As i havent gone out tonight  but jacks out on pee with a pool party and will be wrecked 

But weather going to change so may  be a good chance to get out whilst still warm

Problem is wen she gets home she may beet me black and blue

If we are allowed to come and maybe des will

let ya no later

petrol may be a concern  as,we cant do a trip without a stop of fuel

So guna charge stuff up just incase like the defrivalator i carry  as she may get angry

If we do can ya check my phone details on a pm as i have your number but if its as old as glen it says std code pot 10 p in slot then press buuton a or b ya get ya 10 p back 

• Haha 2

@Barnsley John we will travel North from Hulme End and stop off to pick up Dave at Quackers, DE45 1QA at 11.30am. We will then take the very unusual step of going through Bakewell (normally we avoid tourist hot spots) where there are 2 petrol stations, before heading off East towards Chesterfield for our final stop.

Let me know if you want to meet at Hulme End or Quackers.

1 hour ago, Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO said:

@AndrewBClarke @neptune @NigelO @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary let's hope we can get some fuel, Bakewell only had diesel this afternoon, luckily I filled up on the way back last week.

I had to queue in London this evening no unleaded on diesel and my local Tesco has shut this evening so I'm hoping the motorway services will have some

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO said:

@Barnsley John we will travel North from Hulme End and stop off to pick up Dave at Quackers, DE45 1QA at 11.30am. We will then take the very unusual step of going through Bakewell (normally we avoid tourist hot spots) where there are 2 petrol stations, before heading off East towards Chesterfield for our final stop.

Let me know if you want to meet at Hulme End or Quackers.

Ok thanks

Dont think bad if we cannot make it 

Ring the hospital to see if am ok

Des just rang

hes misis is feeling good tonight so he will no good tomorrow

I know as have been there

So unless,i personally ring ya may look at sunday but will see

• Like 1

ABC and ourselves arrived at a drizzly looking Hulme End Tea Junction cafe

976756620_DSC07075(2).JPG.cf21c6d3dd18a6753c1e1f0de8cb523c.JPG

Martin and Nigel soon arrived

1887792596_DSC07082(2).JPG.8655438f63057c422ab7eb23bdad71da.JPG

Just in case there might be a sugar shortage in the future Glen and I decided to panic buy the cakes. The others ate a more normal breakfast sandwich but we are now used to eating cake for breakfast.

DSC07078.JPG.1e21a52d190c494dde33b46eb0c9c835.JPG

We took our route along the b roads, found plenty of cow poo and went past the pretty Magpie Mine, which I can confirm is a lead mine, you wouldn't think an old lead mine would look nice would you?

We briefly called in at Quackers to check the phone, on into Bakewell, huff it was busy which is why we don't go through there, but there was petrol at the pumps. I briefly lost Martin, who had a wire come loose on his fan, it was a good job Andrew spotted him. Next we drove through the Chatsworth Estate with views over the house and fountain, then up the Curbar Gap where we were glad to see that they have put double yellow lines along the road making it much safer to drive.

Next we drove past the traffic queue from hell, there must have been a road closed somewhere as this is normally an empty country road and it had a queue a mile long. Thankfully we were going in the opposite direction and beautifully landed at the Bistro at Dunston Hall Garden Centre for lunch on time. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of us in the Bistro.

1688712371_DSC07085(2).JPG.8e1db6fbb4a3a0801c3bde5abfb34ddd.JPG

Andrew had a minor problem with his steering wheel and conveniently has to remove his bonnet to access the tool roll, a great V8 photo opportunity for me. They managed to tie wrap the wheel back on😱 

DSC07084.JPG.ab0893aa8672c4932244043a2ba8bf1b.JPG

In the meantime Nigel had us in stitches with with his stories of wet bums in Westfield seats, get that drill out!

981317889_DSC07086(2).JPG.2298495a7d7f09da216504b31cee9543.JPG

Thanks for a great day out guys, we have had easier days, less panicky days, but nobody ran out of fuel and the weather came good in the end, see you next time.

P.S I have found out that the road was closed at the Golden Gates roundabout to the Robin Hood pub due to an accident. That is the main A road into the Peak District, so all that traffic was shoved onto the b road, so glad we were coming out of the Peak District.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

A long time ago I slept in a loft at Magpie Mine on New Years Eve. I have never been so cold in my life

That has to be an interesting story, my mind is trying to second guess what it is.

1 minute ago, Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO said:

That has to be an interesting story, my mind is trying to second guess what it is.

A Mancunian pal of mine organised it Julie. I have no idea why now. Three of us spent a raucous NYE at a nearby pub which may or may not have been called the Jug and Bottle. Then we slept at the mine and were collected by the girls the next morning and taken back to my Dad's in Kiveton Park.  About 1976/77.  I remember I had a Fiat with a broken heater at the time so couldn't even get warm in the car........

Just as clarification to those who were not there…. The technical hitch with the Westfield IVA steering wheel was that the bit you hold to control the car is held onto the rest of the wheel with three Ali pop rivets. When they break you are left holding a useless round thing whilst the car goes wherever it wants. Tie wraps sufficed for the short trip to Glen and Julie’s useful garage where Glen installed stainless steel nuts and bolts. Check yours to save steering embarrassment and thanks to the Peak District engineering department for the proper fix. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

A Mancunian pal of mine organised it Julie. I have no idea why now. Three of us spent a raucous NYE at a nearby pub which may or may not have been called the Jug and Bottle. Then we slept at the mine and were collected by the girls the next morning and taken back to my Dad's in Kiveton Park.  About 1976/77.  I remember I had a Fiat with a broken heater at the time so couldn't even get warm in the car........

The pub might be the Jug and Glass Inn, about 5 miles away or the dangler and Pullet which is about 1 mile away. The lack of heater in the car was good training for Westfield ownership later on in life😁

Kiveton Park, Glen worked in the Steel and Wire Works there for 14 years.

I knew it would be a fun story, you will have to elaborate next time we meet.

Ha ha the name of the second pub is that of a male chicken, sounds like tock, and not a dangler, swear filter works then!

Edited by Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO
Explain name of pub

@Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO it was the Jug and Glass I'm sure. But I have no recollection how we got back to the mine from there. Thinking about it I scrapped that Fiat in 1975 and my wife was involved who I didn't meet until late 1973. So I reckon it must've been NYE 1974. 

I chatted with Glen about KP first time I came on a run. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndrewBClarke said:

Just as clarification to those who were not there…. The technical hitch with the Westfield IVA steering wheel was that the bit you hold to control the car is held onto the rest of the wheel with three Ali pop rivets. When they break you are left holding a useless round thing whilst the car goes wherever it wants. Tie wraps sufficed for the short trip to Glen and Julie’s useful garage where Glen installed stainless steel nuts and bolts. Check yours to save steering embarrassment and thanks to the Peak District engineering department for the proper fix. 

Andy does that mean your the current holder of the  magnet 🧲 

• Haha 3