Printing Gears

MR.C

Whilst looking for cast metal gears for the lathe,i noticed someone had put files up for 3d printing

some.(not in cast iron!).So i was wondering if it would be cost effective to buy a budget 3d printer and 

print them then use the printer for other bits.

They are selling the gears on ebay for £12 upto £80 made out of Delrin.

What would it cost to print a 30 tooth gear say  40mm dia. x 12mm thick?

Thanks.

Just upload the 3D design here and you'll get quotes- 3dhubs

Assuming DIY, from pence to maybe a couple of £ depending on the chosen filament.

POM filament (Delrin) can be had for £23 for a 1kg roll. Grab a copy of Cura slicing software (free), load your model, slice it and Cura will estimate material use and cost for you.

• Like 1

3D printed surface finish on the meshing faces could give you an issue with wear.

Maybe so ,but if they last a few jobs not too bad.

Does anyone know of a budget printer that will cope with the gears?

It may become an ornament afterwards.

Ender 3 for a cheap and reasonably competent device. They are much improved/upgraded since I bought mine in some areas too. If you want a few more upgrades, the Ender 3 V2 is worth a look.

Start printing with PLA until you get a grasp of the basics, then move to more challenging materials.

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/collections/3d-printer

Shop around though, you might grab a bargain. I got mine from AliExpress.

I'd be surprised if it ended up an ornament though - once you start designing and printing your own parts (for anything), it gets to be indispensable.

Yes, there's a learning curve, but stick with it.

Auto bed levelling not essential by any means, but is very nice to have.

So one of the demos done by the Mech Eng department in the university I work at is on 3D printed gears, basically because a lot of students print gears or try to. The result is a gear box with a fraction of the expected power transmission due to the poor surface quality of the gear teeth. While you could get a printer and make them, you would be better off buying some metal gears. Don't get me wrong though - get a printer anyway. Once you realise how easy it is to make custom soft jaws for machining you'll wonder how you did anything without one.

I’ve not tried printing gears, but have printed loads of parts for metal forming. Pipe bender dies and forms, dimple dies, sheet metal press forms.

Surface finish will never match good machining of course, but it can get pretty good.

Of course metal is the way to go,but it's not quite that simple (cost/availability).

Ive got metal gears for turning.The printed gears are for just cutting threads which

should be a lot less load.

Thanks for the advice.