Tips on cutting new holes in the standard dashboard to avoid destroying the finish, please!

CherryTreeFW

Hello, I'm new to WSCC having just bought an SE FW. An early minor job is to fit a 12v charger socket to the dashboard. What would be really helpful is some advice on the best way to cut the hole avoiding extensive damage to the foam and surface trim. Currently I'm planning to mark the opening on the outer face of the dash, cut out the trim surface and foam with a stanley knife, drill a pilot hole through the centre and then drill through full size from the back.

I'd welcome any helpful tips, hints or alternatives, please!

Hello! I did mine recently. I slit the vinyl with a scalpel (did a cross). Then trimmed the foam slightly and used a cone drill bit and carefully drilled though to the correct size. (Just be careful nothing snags)

6584D6A0-5F32-48F2-BC35-377FE77EE96C.jpeg

Pretty much as above, for square holes, you cut a cross shape in the vinyl, with the cuts running from nearly one corner to nearly the opposite, for circular holes, you may need more cuts, in a star shape, depending on the size of the hole. The reason you stop short of where the hole finishes, is so that you can fold the material through the opening, and the start of each cut should end up on the back of the dash, if that makes sense. High Temp Contact Adhesive is the glue for sticking vinyl (and foam) trim down.

The foam just gets completely removed from the opening of the hole.

There's usually enough give in the vinyl, to hold it slightly away from the aluminium, while you drill/cut the alloy. Just avoid getting swarf stuck between the dash and the trim!

Hello - thanks for the welcome and thanks for those tips - at least I'm on the right lines. @BenRobson2999 I'll see if I can replicate your quality installation!

1 hour ago, Benrobson2999 said:

Hello! I did mine recently. I slit the vinyl with a scalpel (did a cross). Then trimmed the foam slightly and used a cone drill bit and carefully drilled though to the correct size. (Just be careful nothing snags)

6584D6A0-5F32-48F2-BC35-377FE77EE96C.jpeg

A job I've got to do as well. Just out of interest how did you wire it?

On my loom the is a 12 v connection. Mines a new one just built this year

• Like 1

Have a search for a Q Max sheet metal punch in the correct size, so easy and neat.  Just finish the edges with super glue and you will have the job done in minutes.