The problem with our maps

Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - Treasurer

This was in an episode of The West Wing back in 1999. Very interesting as the writers used the genuine research information in an episode called "The Crackpots and These Women."

2 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

That explains why I keep running into the I.O.M. every time I try to sail to Scotland :rolleyes:

Rather begs the question where are you sailing FROM? :oops: 😄 

15 hours ago, Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - AO Representative said:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/problem-with-our-maps/

Interesting read, never realised how the maps we use distort the size of different countries.

Don't you just take the first left and then follow @Julie Hall - Joint Peak District AO ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blatman said:

Rather begs the question where are you sailing FROM? :oops: 😄 

Usually home port of Conwy .  IOM is a good stopping off place en route , plenty of options from there weatherwise !

Unintentionally misleading cartography is one thing…

…this is something else though…

8CB130D5-D5D2-4B48-9315-81994076667A.jpeg.6af8c2ece3e615b8c3bd4fbe009f79f7.jpeg

I find it inexplicably worrying that there seem to be people that actually believe this is a true representation of reality….

• Haha 1

I remember the first time I visited Japan I was shocked (as an English man) to see a world map with another country in the middle 😁

23571858-F786-46D4-A402-C3963E8AA6EA.jpeg

6 hours ago, SootySport said:

Some say all the maps are all upside down.

Another one of the theories of cartography. It is suggested that current maps/globes place a lot of emphasis on the northern hemisphere. Orthere is just more land up here... but it's a theory... 

When viewed from space though there is no such thing as "the right way up" so an approaching vessel might well view our planet from the "other" way. Or sideways even...

I know it's a telly show but this is all based on real scientific and socio-politico theories and research:

• Haha 1

On 19/09/2021 at 23:03, Blatman said:

Another one of the theories of cartography. It is suggested that current maps/globes place a lot of emphasis on the northern hemisphere. Orthere is just more land up here... but it's a theory... 

When viewed from space though there is no such thing as "the right way up" so an approaching vessel might well view our planet from the "other" way. Or sideways even...

I know it's a telly show but this is all based on real scientific and socio-politico theories and research:

So I was right all along

Surely the concept of which way up re cartography, is so closely tied in to magnetic pole etc, that even when it was found to move around and not be quite at the cartographic pole, it was too ingrained to change, by then?

When the first maps were drawn the earth was flat , little if nothing was known of land other than the small area around the med .

The southern hemisphere didnt exist until Cook Magellan etc . by that time the convention was to have North at the top