SGS tools

dombanks

Are the tools sold by sgs reliable?

I know their low level jack has been mentioned a few times but I was looking at one of those petrol 5 in 1 garden tools as I have a lot of bushes/shrubs/small trees to cut down and theirs came up in a search at a reasonable price.

I can't comment on the SGS one Dom, or indeed on the longevity of any of them, but I have had the Parkerbrand equivalent for 4 months and am impressed so far. 

I had a problem adjusting mine to oil the chain consistently, their response was impressive, send a courier for the part, send a new part by return. I have cut a dozen oily railway sleepers with mine, very capable, just take your time, and make sure the chain is oiling.  Other tools feel strong and capable of applying the ample power robustly too. 

It is worth having a good read, they are up front about the warranty, what it covers and doesn't, domestic use only but I have to say it looks and feels robust enough. 

• Like 1

I can't speak for their power tools, but the engine hoist I had from them recently was good quality, well packaged and delivered next day 👍

I have used them to purchase wheel dollies https://www.sgs-engineering.com/wd4000-450kg-wheel-dollies-set-of-four?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIGKBhCxARIsAINMioJjEmSDsI_cVQzcu3e3AkpG_RgJrgNe58zTQhspNRBFtl4m6T8k1tkaAhpdEALw_wcB

Couldn't fault the quality vs the cost and delivered next day.

I was looking at their stainless roller cabinets and they were helpful over the phone but I kept my MAC Tools box instead.

Aye, like Glen, I’ve got their wheel dollies. Good quality, next day delivery and a good price. Nothing to fault.

I have the jack which is fine plus bought a Hyundai mower from them service was fine.. interesting read how the company started etc..

I got onto them as a colleague at work bought the five in one strimmer and saw etc..and lent it to me to trim some branches..

I have a Stihl strimmer, hedge trimmer and husqvana chain saw..

It is not in their league but if I had not already got them I would have bought one of the SGS five piece kits..

Don't think they would last for ever and I would say check with them about spare parts availability.. I think they may offer them with two year warranty if my memory is right..

But I would go with theirs rather than a total unknown off fleabay

On 17/09/2021 at 20:57, Mole said:

I have the jack which is fine plus bought a Hyundai mower from them service was fine.. interesting read how the company started etc..

I got onto them as a colleague at work bought the five in one strimmer and saw etc..and lent it to me to trim some branches..

I have a Stihl strimmer, hedge trimmer and husqvana chain saw..

It is not in their league but if I had not already got them I would have bought one of the SGS five piece kits..

Don't think they would last for ever and I would say check with them about spare parts availability.. I think they may offer them with two year warranty if my memory is right..

But I would go with theirs rather than a total unknown off fleabay

Bit the bullet and it arrived Friday. 

I don’t really have anything to compare it to tbh but it feels sturdy to hold, and the ninja Death Star blade cutter thingy looks menacing enough.

it’s probably overkill as a strimmer just for my garden given the size of it but it didn’t feel shonky and prob more than enough for me to cut down the stuff I need. Can’t have a go for a few weeks now so time will tell

• Like 1

Going back to the dollies I have https://www.sgs-engineering.com/wd4000-450kg-wheel-dollies-set-of-four?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIGKBhCxARIsAINMioJjEmSDsI_cVQzcu3e3AkpG_RgJrgNe58zTQhspNRBFtl4m6T8k1tkaAhpdEALw_wcB

I cut some spare timber I had kicking around to lay on top and then placed axle stands on top of this so now I have 'mobile trestles', handy as I can push it out the way when do other jobs in garage.

16320642965231137975245612364397.jpg

• Sad 1

That picture terrifies me! Please tell me at least the stands are secured to the timber. 

Ha ha, they will be.....

I was going to drill a hole in each leg to secure it timber.

I have given it a proper 'wobble' and it seems solid.

I only come up with this yesterday whilst have the fortnightly garage clear up!

It's only that high whilst I rebuild it.

Maybe the pics make it look precarious but with 2 children who are often in the garage I wouldn't take any risks!

The timber is 8x2 leftovers from the ridge timber on our extension and then I drilled holes approx 15mm diameter in the timber to correspond with the caster wheels fixing nuts so the timber is located on the dolly's with no chance of it slipping/moving and as dave previously mentioned the axle stands (located pretty much centrally on the timber) are all screwed down to the timber now.

I can happily climb in and out and it really isn't going anywhere.

Do let us know how the 5 in 1 tool performs as I have looked at one off these for some time also, we have approx 60ft of hedging but have removed a lot also along with a couple of large trees which needed constant pruning so not sure I really need it now?

• Like 1

Westfields and axle stands are an interesting mix if you’ve not had such light weight cars on them before.

If just sat there, doing very “light” work on the car they’re not too bad, the issues are kind of two fold though. One, (at the front in particular), if you’re not careful, the two front stands end up very close together, and are unstable if the car is both pushed sideways and in a front to back direction.

And two, the light weight of the car can catch you out. It needs much less sideways force on the car, compared to a big heavy tin top, to push the car enough for stands with narrow bases, compared to their height to start to topple or lift. It’s even possible if working on a particularly stubborn bolt with a breaker bar etc to actually lift one corner of a Westfield off the stand at that side, and again, if unlucky, they can topple.

Thats with stands directly on a solid surface, and directly on the car. As soon as you add extra layers, you can increase or decrease the toppling risk, quite a bit.

At the front, for instance, if I know the wheels will be off, but there is heavier work to do, I’ll put a longer scaffold poll or block of wood under the car, with the ends supported by the axle stands, but the stands a good distance apart - wider than the chassis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

At the front, for instance, if I know the wheels will be off, but there is heavier work to do, I’ll put a longer scaffold poll or block of wood under the car, with the ends supported by the axle stands, but the stands a good distance apart - wider than the chassis.

That's a valid point Dave. 👍