Play in steering column.

ianali

I have a (feels to me) small amount of play in my steering column. I know it’s difficult to answer, but is some play to be expected? Apologies in advance for wording the question so poorly.

in/out? side to side? rotational? at which end? do you have a quick release boss?

4 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

in/out? side to side? rotational? at which end? do you have a quick release boss?

Side to sidel...Yes quick release but I’m fairly sure that isn’t the cause. I’ve not investigated yet, will have a look tomorrow. Just wanted to get a feel for what I should be looking for. Thanks. 

I had an issue earlier this year where my car felt a bit wayward under braking.  Turns out the bolts that fasten the steering arm to the hub had worked loose.  Have a read of the thread below which has a photo of the loose bolts.  MIght not be the issue but worth checking just for safety reasons.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ianali said:

Side to sidel...Yes quick release but I’m fairly sure that isn’t the cause. I’ve not investigated yet, will have a look tomorrow. Just wanted to get a feel for what I should be looking for. Thanks. 

Sounds like a worn bush or a loose mount 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Sounds like a worn bush or a loose mount 

Just been searching forum and found info on the bushes. I suspect it’s this but will have a delve tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will report back after I’ve had a good look and no doubt seek advice on how to fix. Cheers.

Have just had a quick look. It’s play in the top column which I think has nylon bushes both ends? I hope to meet some other members later this week, il get further opinions whether action is required. Movement is maybe  0.5mm-1mm maximum. Not noticeable during driving, in fact I only noticed it when I got home Sunday and gave the wheel a few loving pats... Removal and fitting new bushes doesn’t look to difficult, I hope!  Is renewing the bushes best, or could it be shimmed? 

38 minutes ago, John Cossa said:

I used 0.25mm coper shim inserted between the tube and the column with a lot of coper grease.

Thanks for that. I’m at a car meet tomorrow night so il get a second opinion on what needs doing.