Broken cycle wings

Rexer200

And while we are talking about crappy plastic bits that keep breaking, let's talk about hood channels 😳

When I was considering buying a hood for mine I'd read somewhere, either in the club mag or on the forum that the channel was quite fragile and would break easily, back then the forum was nothing like today.

when I got my hood home I looked at it and thought 🤔

Oh yes they are right that does look delicate I really need to handle it carefully and treat it with kid gloves 😉

Guess what? 20 years later my plastic channel is still in one piece 😮

1 hour ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

What about Joiners?

cos that's what I asked am/was😎

I thought you worked for ESP plastics :getmecoat:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

After a little wait I’ve now got my new carbon cycle wings from Mark at Carbon NV

1) I notice the new wings (bottom photo) are slightly shorter the the stock ones (top photo), any advice on where to mount them? I mean in line with the old front, old back or somewhere in the middle?

2) can I lose these horrible looking lights on the wings? I guess they are needed for SVA but do I still need them for MoT ? 

166B21E2-1011-4ADA-B34F-86B802C54F20.jpeg

CB00D054-B16E-4A88-823B-EF6DAAF67567.jpeg

You can certainly use smaller items, mine went through the IVA with finger diameter units with no problems. Others on here will confirm whether they are required or not although for personal safety I feel they are essential. Optional location could be wing mirrors as long as visible for a wide degree.

You can move them for MOT to the side of the car. (Mine live on the engine side panels) 

5 hours ago, Rexer200 said:

I’ve also got a Caterham and I’m surprised I even need them because that passes the MOT with just the front ones

DAC0D1D8-6D26-4DDD-9F09-034EFA576606.jpeg

It shouldn't pass without any fitted,unless its older than 1986?

MOT manual states;

'Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with an amber side repeater indicator on each side.

The side repeater can be part of the front direction indicator if it has one of the following:

a wraparound lens marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle with a number 5 above it

an amber light coming through the front lens when viewed from 1m to the side of the rear bumper'

Strange why Westfield don't use these type of indicators like on my Caterham? Instead they use those ugly ones on the stalks at the front and because they are not seen from the side you have to fit side ones also.

Also, while I'm on a rant, why do Westfield use a screen rail for the hood that doesn't fit in an FW boot? Caterham just uses press studs along the top of the screen so no need for a screen rail at all and all of the hood easily fits in the boot. These little design differences are a bit irritating

I passed IVA with these fitted and they're much less obvious (when off) .

Side repeaters

Regardless of the legalities, do you want to ensure others correctly see your intentions? Especially given how low down and vulnerable you are in a seven type car. 

15 minutes ago, Rexer200 said:

Also, while I'm on a rant, why do Westfield use a screen rail for the hood that doesn't fit in an FW

It does, the boot has a shaped recess for the rail at the back. it is tight, I grant you. I can no longer fit mine in there though, as I've used Aerocatches, and the peg sections in the boot prevent the hood fitting anymore. I knew it would happen though, so decided I'd live with it.

31 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

It is fitted @CosKev you can see it on the nose cone 

That's the front indicator 🤣

You reckon you can see that from 1mtr from rear of car?🙄

22 minutes ago, Rexer200 said:

Strange why Westfield don't use these type of indicators like on my Caterham?

Because they won't pass the IVA test that's why!🤦‍♂️

Have a look at the requirements for viewing the side repeaters in the IVA manual👍

12 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It does, the boot has a shaped recess for the rail at the back. it is tight, I grant you. I can no longer fit mine in there though, as I've used Aerocatches, and the peg sections in the boot prevent the hood fitting anymore. I knew it would happen though, so decided I'd live with it.

That's good to know, thanks, I was terrified about snapping it as I've just waited for 12 weeks for SBF7's to deliver. I'll give it another go.

5 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Because they won't pass the IVA test that's why!🤦‍♂️

Have a look at the requirements for viewing the side repeaters in the IVA manual👍

I can see the indicator 1m from the rear though, that's the point. My car already has IVA so the question was about the MOT not IVA