Broken cycle wings

Rexer200

10 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

@Paul Hurdsfield you can’t drive it that hard, you’re never in the country! 

Come and join us tomorrow and find out :p

We are planning a run starting with breakfast at 9.00am at:-

Sycamore Farm
Liverpool Road
Burnley
BB12 6HH
half a mile from jct 9 M65 or 1 mile jct 10
Plenty of parking.

After brekkie Jim will lead us on a route around the Lancashire moors/Yorkshire Dales (route to be decided)

I will be heading south at 12noon to get home for the F1, but if enough people want to carry on Jim is happy to lead further.
I intend to open this out to NWKCOG in the hope we can get a good rapport with them for future combined events.

All are welcome, Kit cars, sports cars, and tin tops.

The meeting point is within easy reach of Manchester, Lancashire and West Yorkshire.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Yep, you've either been fantastically lucky Paul, 

They don't call me lucky Paul for nothin' :laugh:

• Haha 1

Mine  were supplied by Westfield as I've already said, they came with ESP plastics stickers on the back and we all know who they are.

What you have to remember is unhappy customers shout a lot, it happens all the time in retail.

Happy customer say nout, and I'll bet there are hundreds if not thousands of happy customers out there.

Sorry Paul but that's a load of nonsense. 

You aren't going to get a load of folk posting how great their cycle wings are at being cycle wings. It's what they meant to do. It like praising tyres for being round or bulbs for lighting up. 

It’s the part with by far the biggest failure rate we see on the Forum. Nothing else has ever come close.

• Like 1

I’m with @Paul Hurdsfieldon this one 👍 , had mine on for 10 yrs plus, fitted mine with good old silkaflex and big head fasteners . Cars been out in all weathers , 70mph on the motorway with standing water forcing its way through them. I’ve broken 2 wing stays   but never a wing ? As Paul says some of us are born lucky or could it be were 1st class engineers 🤣

• Like 1

Carbon NV is the place to go for proper carbon wings. Carbon means no vibrations and no cracks.

2 hours ago, aeg said:

I’m with @Paul Hurdsfieldon this one 👍 , had mine on for 10 yrs plus, fitted mine with good old silkaflex and big head fasteners . Cars been out in all weathers , 70mph on the motorway with standing water forcing its way through them. I’ve broken 2 wing stays   but never a wing ? As Paul says some of us are born lucky or could it be were 1st class engineers 🤣

Its probably the flappy cycle wings thats breaking your wing stays

• Haha 3

It’s worth a check on the depth of thread engagement of fixing screws holding wing stay to alloy upright. I increased mine from 5mm to 10mm which tended to stop them coming loose which doesn’t help matters!

Also the aluminium spacers on the same joint, used to space out the wing stay. I found would crush or distort, mainly due to too large ID. These were replaced with SS tube with a dia6 ID, cut to length. 
Fasteners remain tight now. They have some thread lock on too. 
I do love the Carbon NV wings though on my westie though. Reduces unspung mass too, so helps minimise stay bracket metal fatigue. 

Just my thoughts 

Andy

I had failure on my first track day four or five years ago..replaced the originals and have not had any issues.. just the brackets that have broken a number of times.. so speeds higher than 70 mph most of the time and over bumpy kerbs in all weathers...

10 minutes ago, Mole said:

I had failure on my first track day four or five years ago..replaced the originals and have not had any issues.. just the brackets that have broken a number of times.. so speeds higher than 70 mph most of the time and over bumpy kerbs in all weathers...

….and over grass and through gravel 

In 21 years I have never broken a wing bracket either, I bent one once, but that incident bent the rest of the car too 😲 the bracket didn’t break though 😂

• Haha 1

The wing stays broke in 2 different places ? Once where the big head bolt hole was , and the other one where it joined the brake calliper . But if I was to change them now I’d be going for carbon( wasn’t available when I built mine ) but you still need a 1st class engineer to fit them 😜

5 minutes ago, aeg said:

you still need a 1st class engineer to fit them 😜

What about Joiners?

cos that's what I asked am/was😎