Broken cycle wings

Rexer200

I bought my mega S2000 as a newly built 21 plate car from a private individual and today I noticed that the front cycle wings have both caught the tyre on the front splitting them completely. Does anyone know why this is? tyres are 195/50x15

Is it because the wings have been mounted too far forward? I guess I now need to buy two new wing from Westfield.

Any help would be much appreciated

3FED69EC-B4FA-491F-BE7B-2B171994896E.jpeg

A4C7F14A-D6B8-4B7C-AF25-4C214C76FE07.jpeg

4E720EE4-6EEE-43C2-9D0B-A7F58FE0C3F7.jpeg

0B6CE6EE-EE4E-4F59-AA1D-35F5912C1F92.jpeg

7AEABEBA-174B-492A-ACC0-D67996592E0D.jpeg

CE2F3EF2-D383-429A-A40C-D08851A25EDA.jpeg

It's because they are ****. 

Not helpful I know but they are renowned for eating themselves. Best replace with the real thing or even grp ones. Much better 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Rexer200 said:

So these carbon ones from Carbon-NV for Westfield won’t eat themselves?

Carbon NV ones are real carbon fibre,so much more rigid than the fake carbon plastic ones you have fitted atm👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rexer200 said:

So these carbon ones from Carbon-NV for Westfield won’t eat themselves?

Seems at high speed the existing ones are pushed into the tyre as they are too weak

Before I buy the Carbon-NV wings anyone got a different opinion?

If you don’t want carbon fibre, even proper GRP ones are better than that fake carbon rubbish. 

https://kitspares.co.uk/products/sports-front-wing-ns

The fake carbon ones can be made to work. @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AOmanaged to reinforce his a bit I think

But if your having to buy replacements anyway then it's a no brainer, the real carbon ones are only 30 or 40 quid more expensive, look much nicer and are far more rigid. 

• Like 1

....the reason for the failure; the car's been driven, ahem, briskly with the carbon effect wings on. They just aren't up to sustained hard use.

They're OK on a car used for pootling about on a summer Sunday afternoon, but for more serious use, really, you need to do what the others have suggested, either swap to GRP, or if you like the carbon look, swap them for proper carbon fibre wings, such as those linked to from Carbon NV.  (Which will also look so much better than the very basic printed carbon effect on the plastic wings).

• Like 2

I've got the same wings and have the same problem... Although mine are not as badly cracked.

I've been looking at the carbon NV wings as a possible winter upgrade. 

Does anyone have the vented ones? If so, do they reduce lift (my car feels very light at speed) as claimed and does the vent allow water to also come out? Probably not a big deal this as I rarely go out in the wet. Thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Burgerbob said:

If so, do they reduce lift (my car feels very light at speed) as claimed and does the vent allow water to also come out?

Can't say if they make the car feel any different, but the vent deffo works to allow air pressure out👍

20180423_110542.jpg

20191002_140743.jpg

• Thanks 1

If buying from Carbon NV allow 2 months waiting time as he’s a busy one man business.    About to fit my carbon wings and they look fantastic and about the same price as Westfield OE wings.

My car has the normal non vented Carbon NV fitted and I'm very pleased with the quality.

So far they've lasted 6,000 miles and even survived a cycle wing failure at about 60 mph where the wing dropped onto the tyre causing interesting noises and a bit of tyre smoke! 😂. Took it off, bonded it to the new wing and you honestly wouldn't know 👍

On 08/09/2021 at 14:03, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

....the reason for the failure; the car's been driven, ahem, briskly with the carbon effect wings on. They just aren't up to sustained hard use.

Really?

my cheapo Westfield supplied polyplastic imitation carbon ones fitted in the correct position as the build manual are fine.

They have done about 15,000miles.

Been to Italy and back, round the Nurburgring, track day at Silverstone (I think that’s pretty brisk) numerous other European tours and track days.

We used to say at work.

Do it right, do it once.

44 minutes ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

Really?

my cheapo Westfield supplied polyplastic imitation carbon ones fitted in the correct position as the build manual are fine.

They have done about 15,000miles.

Been to Italy and back, round the Nurburgring, track day at Silverstone (I think that’s pretty brisk) numerous other European tours and track days.

We used to say at work.

Do it right, do it once.

I doubt you've done it any more 'right' than all the people that have had them eat themselves and crack. If you've had them on for that length of time I'd hazard a guess they could be of a different material or supplier? 

The problem is aswell they are no longer a 'cheapo' option. They are only 40 quid cheaper than real carbon fibre ones. And wow I've just looked at the price of Westfield grp wings! 500 quid a pair. That is unreal must be gold infused resin or somethin

Yep, you've either been fantastically lucky Paul, or have something different to anyone else. Most of the ones I hear of with no issues tend to be on Sunday pub lunch cars, the hard driven cars for at least the last ten years, be it road or track have been shredding them  regularly.