Gopro

JamesGN

Any gopro users out there? I have the hero 7 black. I can only seem play play the videos that are saved to the cloud, if I Import them to my laptop or download them from the gopro cloud they won't play properly. And the last set of video footage my laptop is saying its unsupported format even when I haven't changed any settings. Finding the whole gopro experience alot more frustrating than it needs to be.

2 minutes ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

Have you tried to format the card.

That worked for me when I had the same issue.

I formatted the card when first putting it in, would I need to be done again?

10 minutes ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

I would give it a try. I do mine every now and again.

Will give it a try, just need to get the videos of Peak district run the other day off it first. It Doesn't want to upload them and laptop saying the videos aren't supported 

Try downloading VLC media player - better than Windows media player

also, I found that my 5 year old laptop wouldn’t play 4K video, despite it being Intel i7, 32Gb ram and 4Gb video card. It plays 1080p just fine. I’ll probably try a slightly higher resolution on Sunday

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NigelO said:

Try downloading VLC media player - better than Windows media player

also, I found that my 5 year old laptop wouldn’t play 4K video, despite it being Intel i7, 32Gb ram and 4Gb video card. It plays 1080p just fine. I’ll probably try a slightly higher resolution on Sunday

Good point. Could be the case

I seem to recall having to buy a HEVC file extension from Microsoft in order to get videos to run when I upgraded to a Hero 8 with 4k, from memory there was a message saying that the new video needed it to run.

• 2 years later...

Holy topic redirection.

For Xmas  I had a GoPro 10,   I’ve finally started to use it..   i’m a bit frustrated with it really and wondering if there is any short cuts or insights

some One could share.  

Mostly really as I’ve taken some 4k video, I can’t  down load it though the app as my iPad although mostly empty does not have enough space.. My lap

top wants add ons etc…. All a bit frustrating as if imd just used my iPhone like in the past everything is really easy to email, view, share, 

My next camera will be an Insta 360 I think 😂

• Like 1

Don't shoot in 4K....

Joking aside, this is going to be an issue with every camera system. 4K video files are huge and massively demanding, not just on storage, be it memory cards or hard drive space, but also in processing power and physical memory on the device you want to work with them on. There's no getting around it, if that's the resolution you want.

The question is, what do you actually need to record in 4K? If recordings are generally going to be watched on tablets, phones and other small platforms, I'd strongly argue for just recording at HD resolutions. Personally, I'd say it's only really if you plan on recording to watch on larger panel TV's at really high quality that things like 4K really start to be an advantage.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2021 at 07:50, jonjh1964 said:

I seem to recall having to buy a HEVC file extension from Microsoft in order to get videos to run when I upgraded to a Hero 8 with 4k, from memory there was a message saying that the new video needed it to run.

I've a Go Pro 10 black and agree with the above you need to download the HEVC extension, but make sure your laptop can support the HEVC file extension. I had a similar issue, my Android phone could play the videos but not on my laptop. Downloading the HEVC extension onto my laptop resolved it.

I must admit, I'm not overly impressed with my GoPro - sound quality has been poor and have now had to invest in more expensive add-ons to setup an external microphone just to cut down the wind noise.

- oh and if accessing cloud based 4K video files on the go, a lot, it will chew through small data allowances on your mobile, quite quickly!!

Just now, KevanP said:

sound quality has been poor and have now had to invest in more expensive add-ons to setup an external microphone just to cut down the wind noise.

Again, while GoPro historically, has had a few artifact related issues, this isn't something unique to them, when used in cars like Westfields. Many of the "Action Camera" models are going to have the same issue - coupled with, in a Westfield, the best place to record the sound from, to get good balance between exhaust and intake noise, is not the best place to video from!

Action cameras were essentially designed to be strapped to a person doing (sometimes) extreme sport type activities, and only had to capture a bit of background sound for effect plus any dialogue/screams of terror etc from the person wearing the camera. While windsocks are often available for the cameras, again, they weren't really, generally designed for the speeds a Westfield may be doing on track. 

But, with a few tweaks, like external mic's etc, decent results are possible - don't compare yourself to what you'd see and hear on the big screen though, or it's easy to disappear down a rabbit hole trying to pursue similar quality levels!!

• Like 1

Totally agree Dave, but all I could hear was wind noise and not much else 😂 I tried wind socks etc. Ended up buying the GoPro media mod adapter at silly money, but at least its cut down the wind noise to a sensible level & I can hear the engine/exhaust noise. Just got to remember to turn it on before I go out on track 🤣 but that's probably an age related thing.....