Hello - new member, prospective owner seeking advice

narbles

I'm currently between cars and looking for my next one. I want a Westfield for obvious reasons but I'm happy to tinker away on a car and I also don't need this for any other reason than fun. My predicament is that I do not have a garage, but do have a driveway. Am I best off sticking to a "normal" car, say an MX5 or similar until moving to my next house in a few years or should I go ahead with the Westfield now and get a cover?

I'm looking for a Westie that has a reinforced roll bar (as I do track days), modern-ish engine (I guess Zetec onwards), having a heater (although I guess I could retro-fit) and I really want one in green (the louder the better).

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Welcome! I’ve not just owned, but actually built two Westfields on the drive now. (At the time the garage I had, couldn’t fit a Westfield in, so was more just storage and a bit of workshop space).

The first Westfield I built lived over ten years on the drive, with nothing built the heaviest Hamilton Classics cover(s) for protection, which worked really well, although I’ve found in daily use, they do need replacing periodically, (typically three to five years). When I broke the car down to sell, there was no appreciable difference between it and a garaged car that had been equally used all year round.

There are some more temporary garage type gadgets available now, that might also be used?

• Like 1

Hi and thank you for the welcome. That's very reassuring to hear. I had read a few things online where some people had se fairly negative things to say about using covers. I'll look into the temp garage/car tent solutions available too.

Just starting my search now and based in the West Midlands. 

I currently have an two track cars - an MX5 and a tuned Westfield. 

The MX5 is 90% of the fun at 10% of the cost.

If it were me, I’d get an MX5 now and wait until you have a garage for the Westfield. 

• Like 3