Racesuit

DylanParry

This topic might have been covered in length, but can’t find any answers.

Is it confirmed that racesuit must be worn now for trackdays?

I always wear mine, but just thinking for passenger.

10CAFC68-BCF5-4B62-9353-E097E6AEAB05.jpeg

It appears to be just one event organiser at the moment?

40 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It appears to be just one event organiser at the moment?

Correct

And I don't think that it has to be an FIA/MUK specification, so an out of date suit should be ok.

Not with Westfield's and Caterhams now, opentrack are only concerned about dubious home built kits, so we're alright on that score.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 00:15, SootySport said:

Not with Westfield's and Caterhams now, opentrack are only concerned about dubious home built kits, so we're alright on that score.

Which is a load of bulls***!🙄

So non ethanol proof fuel pipe fitted to a factory built Westfield say 15 years ago is less of a risk than a home built kit car using the same hose?🤣🙄

2 hours ago, CosKev said:

Which is a load of bulls***!🙄

So non ethanol proof fuel pipe fitted to a factory built Westfield say 15 years ago is less of a risk than a home built kit car using the same hose?🤣🙄

Think you quoted the wrong post CosKev. 
what I’m saying is - what was good for E5 juice also is good enough for E10.  If you’ve already upgraded the fuel system to cope with E5, it will be ok for E10.

If your referring to Racesuits at Trackdays then I’m only the messenger.  Weird  trackday creations are not favoured by Opentrack, hence the requirement for a proper fireproof race suit.  Recommended for any car on a track but not compulsory.

54 minutes ago, SootySport said:

Think you quoted the wrong post CosKev.

No quoted the right one!🤣

They are stating 'factory built' Westfields are ok,not home built ones!🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, CosKev said:

No quoted the right one!🤣

They are stating 'factory built' Westfields are ok,not home built ones!🤦‍♂️

Yes it’s an extra expense but a set of flame retardant overalls can be bought for £30 and you can wear them in the garage too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Yes it’s an extra expense but a set of flame retardant overalls can be bought for £30 and you can wear them in the garage too.

I'm not doubting the safety,I've got a triple layer Sabelt suit,it's the 'factory built' part I'm on about which makes no difference in the safety of a Westfield at all!😂

2 hours ago, CosKev said:

which makes no difference in the safety of a Westfield at all!😂

But that’s not necessarily true, either.

The thing with a factory built Westfield is is to a certain minimum standard. With a home built Westfield, (and the same is true of most kits I guess where factory and home builds are options). A really well (home) built Westfield will way exceed the standard of a factory built car. BUT they aren’t all like that, there are some right dogs around too, either built by, or maintained by people with no real clue. (IVA may have reduced the numbers, but they’re still out there).

The reality is, there’s no easy way to split it, and truth be told, in these ethanol enhanced days, ANY car even an OEM from some years ago, could dump fuel everywhere and risk a fire. Singling out kits, is just going for the small minority of low hanging fruit. What about all the cheap, stripped out ninties/early 2000’s bangers that used to be hot hatches, once upon a time?

- true story, told by the guy that did it, on here, a few years ago. One of those not his fault/totally his fault situations, where a little knowledge is dangerous where you’re at that not knowing what you don’t know stage, coupled with willing members helping tell him how to do a job, via the forum, assuming a certain amount of basic knowledge/experience.

I forget what the actual job was now, let’s say a basic bit of engine work. Which he successfully did, and went for a test drive. All started great, but by the time he’d gone round the block, the engine was obviously in distress. Turns out while people had described how to do the more complicated bit of the job, everyone just assumed that he knew to put the sump plug back in and fill with oil etc. He didn’t, and hadn’t.

It seems so basic to many of us, but yet at the same time, the kit world is increasingly drawing members in that have only ever had modern, near factory sealed cars, that are lucky if the bonnet even gets opened to top up the screen wash. And, critically, their parents were the same. So they’ve never had that child hood right of passage of tinkering on the family car with a parent. Where we probably all started to learn the basics.

9 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

What about all the cheap, stripped out ninties/early 2000’s bangers that used to be hot hatches, once upon a time?

Exactly, but said trackday operator ain't going to cut his nose off to spite his face by enforcing the same rule on a bigger chunk of his customers. Which makes a farce of the whole 'its for safety' argument. Especially seeing the state of some of the 'track prepared' cars out there. 

I believe its also no coincidence that I believe the particular TDO hires out a (factory built) caterham that the hirers do not require a suit. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I believe its also no coincidence that I believe the particular TDO hires out a (factory built) caterham that the hirers do not require a suit. 

Totally agree with your post Steve, and I think the suit thing was a knee jerk reaction to an isolated problem, that while not unreasonable, was ill considered and left himself with the problem you mention above. Everything else has just been backpedalling to try and make sense of something thats just not that simple. 

56 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The thing with a factory built Westfield is is to a certain minimum standard

The same certain minimum standard as a home built kit,the IVA.

Factory built cars maintained/modified by the owner/buyer are no longer really factory built🤷🏾‍♂️