Hello and help wanted for a treasure hunt! Reg: Q679 NRO

James Charteris

Hello all, new member here. Hoping to be building a westie in a few years when money permits!

In the meantime, I was hoping that someone on this forum might know what happened to my Dad's old westie which he built, he is thinking to track it down.

I will put a summary here including the reg. no.:

Reg: Q679 NRO

Year: 1989 (I believe)

Model: SEi Narrow body

Engine: Ford 1600 xflow with twin 40DCOE Weber's

Colour: Yellow

Trim & Other: Compotomotive Wheels

I will try and get some photos and any more info from Dad.

He sold it in the early 90's to fund an extension on our house (before I was born!)

I believe the usual type 9 box and some form of LSD etc for the rest of the drive train.

DVLA shows it as untaxed and MOT expired for about 20 years. Maybe it was converted to a track car or written off?

If anyone knows anything I would be really grateful :)

Thank you everyone!

Edited by Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
added reg to title to aid hits

There is a car in the clubs online register which I have just found, sadly the owner hasn't filled all the reg in, all it says is Q---NRO, although this one is a wide bodied car, according to the entry, it last had a Toyota 4AGE in it and was used for road and track Registered in 1989 and it's red and black  (now).

Sorry that's all I could find on that list( which is voluntarily filled by the way)

Oh and welcome by the way...

Hey Thanks, 

It was definitely a narrow, I have just called Dad and checked, so a very strange coincidence to be sure with the year and no. plate. Is the online register accessible to all members?

Thanks for looking for me :)

Cheers

Yes it is, you can find the link within THIS thread.

IIRC the car I was referring to is entry 105.

8 minutes ago, OldStager said:

Yes it is, you can find the link within THIS thread.

IIRC the car I was referring to is entry 105.

Thank you, thats very handy. 

I have found it. 

Thank you again. Maybe someone else on here will know more (might have owned it would be ideal!)

No worries, a lot of narrows ended up on the track as they are a tad lighter than the wide cars, so don't hold your breathe - but hope you can trace it, are you looking to buy it back if possible?. I had chance some years ago to buy my dad's old Jowett, but finances didn't work out sadly.

1 hour ago, OldStager said:

No worries, a lot of narrows ended up on the track as they are a tad lighter than the wide cars, so don't hold your breathe - but hope you can trace it, are you looking to buy it back if possible?. I had chance some years ago to buy my dad's old Jowett, but finances didn't work out sadly.

Dad just said to me that hes interested in finding it, not sure if he would buy it back but he can be crytpic sometimes, it could easily go either way.

• Like 1

It’s not been taxed since 2000 & there’s no mot history, so I would say it’s either gone aboard or is no more.

51 minutes ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

It’s not been taxed since 2000 & there’s no mot history, so I would say it’s either gone aboard or is no more.

Yeah I found the same, that's why I thought it might have been track converted or written off etc. Just hoping someone on here might know really! 😊

3 hours ago, James Charteris said:

Hello all, new member here. Hoping to be building a westie in a few years when money permits!

In the meantime, I was hoping that someone on this forum might know what happened to my Dad's old westie which he built, he is thinking to track it down.

I will put a summary here including the reg. no.:

Reg: Q679 NRO

Year: 1989 (I believe)

Model: SEi Narrow body

Engine: Ford 1600 xflow with twin 40DCOE Weber's

Colour: Yellow

Trim & Other: Compotomotive Wheels

I will try and get some photos and any more info from Dad.

He sold it in the early 90's to fund an extension on our house (before I was born!)

I believe the usual type 9 box and some form of LSD etc for the rest of the drive train.

DVLA shows it as untaxed and MOT expired for about 20 years. Maybe it was converted to a track car or written off?

If anyone knows anything I would be really grateful :)

Thank you everyone!

UPDATE:

Had some more info from Father,

He sold it to: The Westfield Centre in Saffron Waldon - Terry Knightingale. I believe he was a dealer at the time and sold it on?

So, did anyone buy a yellow SEi from Terry Knightingale in the early 90s with the aforementioned spec and no. plate? And if you did, what happened to it?

Many thanks to everyone who has already replied. :) 

I's guess it's abroad, if still going.

Due to the difficulties and cost of registering anything newer on the continent, 89 and older cars get pounced on whenever they pop up for sale, and shipped to Europe. They rarely get heard from again, I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO changed the title to Hello and help wanted for a treasure hunt! Reg: Q679 NRO
11 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I's guess it's abroad, if still going.

Due to the difficulties and cost of registering anything newer on the continent, 89 and older cars get pounced on whenever they pop up for sale, and shipped to Europe. They rarely get heard from again, I'm afraid.

Hi Dave, 

That's good to know, I will not keep too much hope then sadly. 

Thank you everyone for the advice, comments and info. If anyone knows anything I would be grateful but I appreciate its a bit of a needle in a haystack!