Harness question

Paul Harveyboy

At todays sprint at Llandow, all westfields /  catervans in the road going class including myself were pulled by the msa scrutineer as our 2" harnesses were no longer legal with out a hans device. We were told we had to run 3" harnesses if we didn't want to use a hans. 

There was uproar, as in road going a  basic seat belt is / was allowed. ?

Seems a bit harsh...did the scrutineer quote which rule he was referring to?

Within this forum there is a guide to Sprinting and have just copied this....Seat BeltsFor road-going classes normal diagonal shoulder and lap strap mounted at 3 points on thechassis are acceptable.However,it is advisable to fit a 4-point or 6-pointharness. Not onlyare 4-or 6-pointseat belts considered to be safer they will improve your driving by holdingyou in place more firmly such that you feel much more a part of the car. Most drivers preferto have belts with 3” shoulder strapsbut there are now some that are specific for the use with HANS devices that start off as 2 inch and then widen to 3 inch after the FHR. (section K2.1

• Like 1

I could not see any reference in the sup regs in the motor clubs main event regs that mentions this, what does the 2021 'blue book ' say?.

• Like 1

That's BS. 2 inch are allowed. Often scrutineers are looking at wrong regs as they are used to other forms of Motorsport such as rallying etc

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I didn't want to rush out and change my 2" before castle coombe next weekend,  as I was half sure I was correct.  Thanks again.