Battery neutral connection

DIY-Si

Hopefully this will be a quick one. I've tried looking at others build diaries and the manual, but I can't see anything in enough detail to let me see what's going on.

How have you all made the battery neutral connection to the chassis? I'm not keen on using the brake flexi tab to do it, but its the only thing nearby without using a rivnut. Or have I missed something obvious?!

6 minutes ago, DIY-Si said:

using a rivnut

This can give really poor grounds over time if you're not careful, as oxidation between nut and chassis can creep in.

• Like 1

I don't have my build manual any more, as I handed everything to my buyer when I sold, but I'm sure that there is a proper chassis earth point to connect to. I just can't remember where I connected mine, but it certainly wasn't to a rivnut!!

Simon Marks will most probably be along soon with the definitive answer.

3 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

Hopefully this will be a quick one. I've tried looking at others build diaries and the manual, but I can't see anything in enough detail to let me see what's going on.

How have you all made the battery neutral connection to the chassis? I'm not keen on using the brake flexi tab to do it, but its the only thing nearby without using a rivnut. Or have I missed something obvious?!

I used one of the steering rack mount bolts when I relocated my battery. I cleaned the powder coat off the chassis, used dielectric grease on the ring terminal to stop corrosion. It"s been perfectly reliable for a few years now

For what it's worth the manual doesn't show the chassis connection too clearly nor mention it in the text (that I can see).

Screenshot_2021-07-07-21-08-04-008_com.adobe.reader.thumb.jpg.40f8103d4d62eac2e3b4e4bb070393c2.jpg

There's no stud welded to the chassis (as at the front for the engine earth), certainly not on my chassis. That bit sticking out from the diagonal is the bracket for the brake hose.

Screenshot_2021-07-07-21-04-52-858_com_mi.globalbrowser.thumb.jpg.932f312e0c336bda11e88deb71bdd1e0.jpg

• Thanks 1

Morris has just shown my issue rather nicely. The loom has a ring terminal in it that would sit pretty much where the photo above shows, but I have no stud or other mounting point to put it on. I had assumed there should be one, but it had been missed. But now Morris has said his chassis doesn't have one that seems less likely.

@neptune, I hadn't considered relocating the battery, but your idea sounds good. Have you any photos or details of where you put the battery?

21 minutes ago, DIY-Si said:

Morris has just shown my issue rather nicely. The loom has a ring terminal in it that would sit pretty much where the photo above shows, but I have no stud or other mounting point to put it on. I had assumed there should be one, but it had been missed. But now Morris has said his chassis doesn't have one that seems less likely.

@neptune, I hadn't considered relocating the battery, but your idea sounds good. Have you any photos or details of where you put the battery?

My battery was relocated from the scuttle into the nose cone behind the radiator. Sorry no photos to hand . I could take some at the weekend 

• Thanks 1

Photos will come in handy, although I'll have to get creative relating it to the XI's nose.

But Neptune isn't talking about an XI as far as I can see. I've never heard of the battery being mounted in the front of an XI, always behind the driver's seat.

I don't think he is either, but there is plenty of room so it's an option I'm willing to look at. I'm am admittedly mode likely to find somewhere on the passenger's side if I were to move it, but I figure it's worth a look

Hi Simon, I used the bottom trailing arm mounting suitably cleaned and had no issues

• Thanks 1

On 07/07/2021 at 19:24, stephenh said:

I don't have my build manual any more, as I handed everything to my buyer when I sold, but I'm sure that there is a proper chassis earth point to connect to. I just can't remember where I connected mine, but it certainly wasn't to a rivnut!!

Simon Marks will most probably be along soon with the definitive answer.

Simon has additional brackets welded to chassis for a ROPS and used one of the mounting bolts as an earth point.

IMG_1172.thumb.JPG.2503d941aedff21e2b76682152911f6a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are those two downward pointing connections through the panelling?

Surely not to illuminate the road with blue lights as is the rage for the younger generation now?😁