Cautionary tale

Paul Aspden (MoFast)

I am not sure where to put this on the forum but I felt it important to share.

So last night whilst out in the car taking advantage of the break in the weather. It hit me... I had only finger tightened the front wheel nuts after changing the calliper bleed nipples the night before. 

This occurred to me whilst doing what can only be described as Millennium Falcon speed.

IT WAS QUITE SIMPLY THE MOST SCARY, MUD BUTTON TWITCHING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE.

I came to a stop and luckily after 20 miles of driving they where still finger tight..... 

lessons learned are as follows. When you get in the car to go for a drive follow this process:

1. ask yourself did I fully complete the last job I did on the car because sometimes enthusiasm gets the better of us.

2. check the fuel tank level visually, calibrating the tank is an art form.

3. check the brake lights work as intended, that pressure switch is not ideal.

I WAS LUCKY LAST NIGHT. REALLY LUCKY.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just use @Simon Waterfall Syman84 to check the wheel nuts on Lionel - if he comes into the paddock at Cadwell complaining of it handling strangely, they’re loose!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

ask yourself did I fully complete the last job I did on the car

Holy crap - you expect me to remember what I last did? I can’t even remember if I put my socks on 😳

51 minutes ago, Kingster said:

@Andy - a15cro has no idea what you mean 🤔🤣

I thought it was a flat tyre on the munter! Until I pulled on to the grass and it tipped up 😂

2 hours ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

1. ask yourself did I fully complete the last job I did on the car because sometimes enthusiasm gets the better of us.

Good tip, thanks...., but sometimes I can't remember (old age :down:)

Best tip I've received was 'if you've fitted bolt tighten it,  then you don't have to remember'  .. it's worked well for me

• Like 1

if i leave a job half done a piece of paper goes on the widscreen with whats left to do.

Ive been caught out

• Like 2

@John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO all through the build i was doing that but now it's got post build and it is drivable i made the mistake of focusing on getting back out there as fast as possible. glad it happened with out a disaster to wake me up.

I suggest leaving the wheel nut key or your torque wrench on the driver's seat. Then when you jump in all excited to go, you get a clear reminder!

• Like 3

I did something similar - on the way to a trackday (in the tow car) I suddenly thought “did it torque up the front wheel I had off this morning” - so all the way to the track I was saying out loud “don’t forget the wheel… don’t forget the wheel…”

1 hour ago, Kingster said:

I did something similar - on the way to a trackday (in the tow car) I suddenly thought “did it torque up the front wheel I had off this morning” - so all the way to the track I was saying out loud “don’t forget the wheel… don’t forget the wheel…”

We need to know, did you forget the wheel?

10 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

We need to know did you forget the wheel?

what wheel?

All this loose wheel chat takes me back to when my Robin attempted to be motorbike by loosing one at speed, not nice when a wheel overtakes you 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rush Motorsport said:

what wheel?

Beat me to it 🤣

ive come in from a race, with my hans device fastened and my helmet strap not!

remembering if i even blew the tyres up never mind put the right ones on is luck