Westfield 270HP Duratec Roadgoing Competition Car Package - SOLD

Simon_Jones

After nearly 6 years of ownership the time has come to sell my roadgoing Westfield sprint / hillclimb / track day car.  This is an opportunity to buy a truly ready to go competitive car which has been run in roadgoing classes (Westfield Speed series W2 and BARC equivalent) but easily has the pace for W3+ on non-roadgoing tyres.

In my novice hands it has delivered class wins at Shelsley Walsh, Gurston Down, Castle Combe and Abingdon CARnival and has rarely been out of the top 3.

Despite 270 HP it is extremely well set up and predictable, even in the wet.  A recent outing at Castle Combe with an instructor, more used to Caterhams, left him seriously impressed with how capable it was.

The previous owner purchased the car new as a factory build Sport 2000 and carefully upgraded the car for competitions using the best available parts and suppliers.

It certainly is not a show car, with the bodywork reflecting a competition focussed vehicle.  However, it comes with the following brand new items for the new owner:-

-       New Westfield V8 Bonnet (red)

-       New Westfield nosecone (Black)

-       New Carbon NV super lightweight carbon wheel arch protectors

-       New Carbon NV carbon composite boot cover

-       10 Litres of Millers Triple Ester competition oil and other spares.

Also included is a spare set of 13” Compomotive CRX wheels (like new) and Avon ZZS tyres fitted in April this year, with less than 50 wet track day miles.

The additional items would cost around £3k if purchased separately.

Price £16.5K to include all above as an ‘on the button’ roadgoing competition car package / amazing track day car.

Chassis:
Standard Sport 2000 – Registered on age related plate in 2008.  Mileage 11,200.  MOT until 21.05.22
Steering by Westfield rack, competition mountings, short competition steering arms.
Suspension is standard rear wishbones, factory ‘Gen 3’ wide track front. Dampers are Protec alloy spec'd and supplied by Procomp Motorsport. Factory rear anti-rollbar, Playskool front anti-rollbar. Suspension setup by Procomp Motorsport.
Westfield alloy uprights, Westfield competition brakes, with 4 pot front callipers and front vented discs.
7” x 13” Prorace 1.2 black wheels on the front and 8” x 13” Compomotive CXR wheels, black, fitted with 215/55x13” Avon ZZS all round (MSA 1b).

Body:
Standard factory Sport 2000 Post Office red bodywork, with Aerodynamix carbon fibre aeroscreen, carbon effect rear light clusters and carbon effect lightweight dash. Dash 2 electronic display (factory fitted). Dash mounted FIA cutout switch.
JK Composite seats; double skinned, and a special order low back seat for the passenger.
lightweight wing mirrors.
Small headlights.
CSR style carbon fibre front wings.
CarbonMods carbon fibre lightweight nosecone, fitted with canards.
Playskool Motorsport lightweight full safety cage (fully approved for MSA use).

Engine:
This is essentially the original Ford Power products Duratec engine as fitted by Westfield new.  However the engine has been much modified, and its present spec is as follows:-

2ltr. Duratec on standard crank, but carefully balanced, and SBD keyway mod. Lightweight flywheel, by Raceline. Titan drysump kit, Carillo steel conrods, Supertec forged pistons. ARP flywheel bolts, crank pulley bolts, main bearing cap bolts and big end bolts. Cylinder head gas flowed by Simon Armstrong of Ultimate Performance, and camshafts also by Ultimate Performance, fitted with vernier pulleys.  visit www.ultimatep.com after which I think you'll agree there isn't anyone better qualified for the job.
The engine still runs on the KMS tapered throttle bodies, as used at the time by Westfield, and the KMS ecu. The entire exhaust system was built by Matt Simpson, Simpson Race Exhausts, to dimensions supplied by Simon Armstrong.  Typically noise tests at 97-99 db.
Engine was initially rebuilt to something like the above spec by Northampton Motorsport in 2011, and re-mapped by Troy Robinson.  It subsequently had a precautionary engine rebuild at Northampton (when the dry sump conversion was carried out) in March 2015.
In April 2015, the car was checked (following the March re-build) on The NMS rolling road, and was found to be making (at the flywheel) 272 bhp at about 8,750 rpm, and 181 lbs/ft of torque at about 6,400 rpm. Of more practical relevance, the torque exceeds 150 lbs/ft from 4,500 rpm right through to the red line of 8,950; and the power exceeds 250 bhp from 7,400 rpm through to approx. 9,000 rpm.
It has been completely reliable, just changed the oil filter and oil very regularly, and only used Millers fully synthetic triple ester competition oil.

Transmission:
Uprated competition paddle clutch.
Gearbox is based on a Ford type 9 5 speed 'box, but everything was re- built in March 2019 using full alloy casings by Steve Perks (SPC transmissions).  It is a Steve Perks own design of straight-cut close ratio gear set, on fully needle roller main shaft and synchromesh engagement. 

The prop shaft is an upgraded Bailey Morris item.
The diff is a Ford Sierra based diff. However, it has been rebuilt by Bara Motorsport with 4.44 crown wheel and pinion set and at the same time a ZF plated LSD unit was fitted.

The combination of high revving engine mated to this gearbox gives amazing speed ranges through the gears and is key to the car’s competitiveness.  60mph in 1st, 84 in 2nd, 105 in 3rd, etc. and it had been timed at the Aintree sprint at just under 140mph and still pulling.

Fuel supply is via a pair of small sprint tank made by Alloy Racing Fabrications, with a separate swirlpot, and 2 fuel pumps, so no risk of fuel starvation unless you run out of fuel completely.

SSA137 (4).JPG

SSA137 (13).JPG

SSA137 (18).JPG

1107541373_WestfieldCastleCombe1.jpg

20210622_203847.jpg

20210606_182243.jpg

• Like 2

@stephenh old car? In which case a very well known and respected car in the WSCC and beyond.

Good luck with the sale, it's a cracker!

Thanks Dave,  yes StephenH's old car.  I am looking at moving into classic competition with a Midget / Sprite as my next step.

• Like 1

Simon kindly took me out in this at combe. It's quite a machine 😲. I ve not been round combe that fast before. Combe is a fast track and it just keeps on pulling. Who ever buys it will not be disappointed. 

Simon has also taken me out in this at Castle Combe, an experience I will never forget. In fact this car is probably the reason I've ended up with my own Westfield! A seriously quick car and a fantastic spec. I don't think this will hang around for long! Good luck with the sale.

• Simon_Jones changed the title to Westfield 270HP Duratec Roadgoing Competition Car Package - SOLD

After 6 years of wonderful experiences with this car it will be now enjoyed by someone else.  It was a fantastic route into competitions and levels of circuit driving not possible in other vehicles.

I'm pleased that it has gone to a Westfield Club member and will soon be a regular at Snetterton and Cadwell.  The speed series team will have to work on the new owner!

Snetterton and Cadwell you say.... @Mole, In a desperate bid to keep up?

36 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Snetterton and Cadwell you say.... @Mole, In a desperate bid to keep up?

Back up for wet days at Cadwell.. save me changing wheels over..

• Haha 2

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.