Nige_T

Hello everyone.  I've just joined.  Recently started the search for my first Westy.  I'd prefer to build from scratch but just don't have the time.  I have a MEV Exocet at the moment and want to use that for track and have a Westy for the road.  I've been reading-up on advice for newbies and the consensus seems to be to (a) be clear about what you want, (b) try out different options, and (c) get along to some meetings and talk to some of you chaps.  Having looked at the national map and where local groups are, there seems to be a huge void where I am (East Sussex).  I considered going up to Toybox but am a bit wary having read of some people's experiences.  Don't want to have the wool pulled over my eyes because I'd be obviously inexperienced and short on knowledge.  Would be grateful for any advice.  Looking forward to the journey.

Thanks

Nige

• Like 1

Welcome along.

I didnt think Toybox had a bad name but maybe I haven't heard what you have.

My only concern about them is they seem to sell at premium prices.

Exiting times for you.

There are usually a few decent cars for sale though in the summer months sales may be thinner on the ground than usual.

I too wanted to build but ended up buying as my perfect car came up unexpectedly....!

Thanks @CraigHew.  I don't think Toybox have a bad name and to be fair the reviews/stories I read were mixed, some said they're fab, others were less flattering, so I'm just being cautious.

Hello Nige, welcome.

Where in Sussex are you? I'm near Heathfield. Happy to meet up for a chat or why not join some of us for a Sunday morning blat?

All the best

Kenton

Welcome from South Derbyshire!

My current car is from Toybox, its my second after buying a much older zetec engined car that I bought to see if I would take to Westfield ownership (evidently I did! 😂).

Andrew and Dale at Toybox are lovely guys, not into hard sell and the cars are very well prepared (especially cosmetics). As with all kit cars, the quality is massively dependant on who built it (or who maintained/upgraded it for older cars). I've had a few minor niggles with mine but it had such low mileage I expected a few "shakedown" problems.

As you suggest, it's best to have a look at a few before taking the plunge... no two cars are the same so make your list of must haves!

Good luck!

Welcome...and best is to try and find some members locally and chat about the options..

Welcome Nige, there's a fair amount of Westfield's around your neck of the woods, their just shy woodland creatures.

Re Toy Box If you see something that takes your fancy 100% bring along a experienced Westfield owner as they should be able to guide you, which is pretty much the same advice as buying a Westfield from anywhere else.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kenton said:

Hello Nige, welcome.

Where in Sussex are you? I'm near Heathfield. Happy to meet up for a chat or why not join some of us for a Sunday morning blat?

All the best

Kenton

Thanks.  I'm actually in Heathfield.  I'll pm you (once I work out how).  I might  be able to make Sunday.  I've literally just got my current ride back on the road after 6 months off, and has it's MOT on Saturday morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there and welcome...as the guys say plenty out there...my brother in law has had 2 westfield's from Toxbox and no complaints...look around..