Lithium Battery recommendations

Hafod

Hi All,

I was just about to order a Powerlite battery from Hawke motorsport but hear they have stopped making them. 

Does anyone have a recommendation and experience of a good alternative ?

I should have done this last month whilst I could. 

Can’t recommend an alternative - but just in case you don’t know, be aware that you will probably need a battery isolator of some description so that a lithium battery is not connected at all when the car is off. 👍

I had a JMT from ebay which was excellent light and cheap, but not MSUK approved so i swapped for a Powerlite PS12

What size do you need? I have a ps09 msa approved that’s surplus. I bought new from Allan McDonald last year. I’ve only used in once on test day at Blyton.

if you need something bigger, might be worth trying Allan. He supplies a lot of the hillclimb guys/gals 

If you aren’t competing, the JMT was cheaper and lighter. 

On 23/06/2021 at 14:49, Chris King said:

but just in case you don’t know, be aware that you will need a battery isolator of some description so that a lithium battery is not connected at all when the car is off. 👍

Why?

42 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

Why?

Because they don’t like being drained slowly by any kind of small current draw. But they are happy to be left for ages fully charged and disconnected. 

5 minutes ago, Chris King said:

Because they don’t like being drained slowly by any kind of small current draw. But they are happy to be left for ages fully charged and disconnected. 

Correct. So the OP would only need an isolator if there is a parasitic draw, i.e. alarm, immobiliser, clock, ecu, etc.

If there is absolutely no parasitic draw then no need for isolation of the battery.

4 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

If there is absolutely no parasitic draw then no need for isolation of the battery.

pretty rare not to get some kind of parasitic draw - but yes you are the lord of pedantry 😁👍

23 minutes ago, Chris King said:

pretty rare not to get some kind of parasitic draw - but yes you are the lord of pedantry 😁👍

I like things to be right 😝

I have a lithium on the cobra, no parasitic draw and it never loses any charge with ignition off

14 hours ago, KugaWestie said:

Correct. So the OP would only need an isolator if there is a parasitic draw, i.e. alarm, immobiliser, clock, ecu, etc.

I would have agreed with you Gary, on the old ECU the battery never went flat. 

A change to DTA and now I have to disconnect! 

Yep, some ecu’s do only have an ignition live feed, but quite a number, especially as you start moving up the ladder, performance/spec wise do have battery lives, and do have tiny parasitic draws.

My DTA S80 is the same, it even must have a direct (fused, naturally) main battery connection, not via the labyrinthine Westfield loom ECU direct feed!