Facet Fuel pumps

BenD

With the recent threads about fuel pumps and what not it got me thinking that I need a spare. I currently have a facet round type fuel pump but it's the old style gold colour and there are no labels or anything readable left on it. But there are different types. Red top, silver top and a few others. What pump do I need for twin 40s on a 170bhp zetec. It has a glass bowl type regulator

sideways_stu

Silver top facet would be adequate but for peace of mind you might spend the extra couple of £ and get red top (10% more flow).

I see they now also list a blue top which is a further 10% more flow again.

Kent Westfield
7 hours ago, BenD said:

With the recent threads about fuel pumps and what not it got me thinking that I need a spare. I currently have a facet round type fuel pump but it's the old style gold colour and there are no labels or anything readable left on it. But there are different types. Red top, silver top and a few others. What pump do I need for twin 40s on a 170bhp zetec. It has a glass bowl type regulator

I have 2.0L Zetec on twin 45’s and I went for the red top stated above

The thinking was to future proof it by choosing a higher flow rates - in case I get the bug and go for more engine power in the future👍🏻

corsechris

I still have the teeny tiny square Facet that came with the kit back in ‘91

I seems to be able to keep up with the demand on a 170bhp Zetec for road use at least. Not so certain it would handle the demands of track use, but I’ve never been aware of fuel starvation issues. 

All that to say, I think any of the Facet range of larger cylindrical pumps will be fine, particularly given they operate at very low pressure in a lift pump/swirl pot setup, so that gives more flow than when they have to pump into a load. 

BenD

I was wondering about the pumps with the higher pressure ratings possibly breaking due to pushing against the regulator. My car is track only. The pump is the original from when the car was built and is probably on borrowed time. Don't wanna be left at a trackday with no fuel pump hence the spare. I've seen some cheap Chinese copies on eBay which are the fraction of the price. Anyone used one of these. I know you get what you pay for but I ran a Bosch 044 copy on my last car and it lasted for two years without issue

corsechris

Some years ago I was searching for a new 044 pump and came across Alibaba. There were a few offerings from assorted Chinese manufacturers offering them in bulk, with prices starting at just over $3 each IIRC. They looked quite convincing on a web page too. Clear to see why there are so many cheap nasty copies for sale on ebay etc. Equally clear to see why they should be avoided I think.

Jim RS

Whilst trying to get engine sorted I had 3 nice garages replace fuel pumps with so called Bosch 044 copies but all had issues (soft threads, dodgy power connections, brittle plastics), eventually saw the light and purchased a Bosch. Much better made and has performed without fault for 4+ years, should have twigged that Ford/Cosworth would have done their research and saved myself the cost, not to mention the aggravation. 

Jim RS

I should add 044 is much too over specified for this application, capable of 10 bar!

BenD
Just now, Jim RS said:

I should add 044 is much too over specified for this application, capable of 10 bar!

Oh yeh I know that. I was just comparing to a copy I had in my last car. 

• Like 1
Andrew

I was running a red top on my car (170bhp) until that last Cadwell day I did, when it got swapped for a spare silver top I had, while trying to suss the missfire I was suffering from.

Missfire was nothing to do with the fuel pump, and the silver top performed satisfactorily at the next event I did at Knockhill.

If I was you Ben I'd get a red top, swap it over and keep your old one as a spare? 

Chris King

I use a genuine silvertop “competition” as a lift pump to fill my swirl pot. 

This flows 32 gallons per hour, so around 2.4 litres a minute. That’s enough flow for most of us I reckon 😁

BenD

Basically it seems anytop will work lol. Good idea though Andrew I'll keep the old as a spare