A week in Iceland costs a bit

SootySport

ha ......Wait to you go out for a meal. This was in a pub just an average pub meal.....I had cheeseburger and chips and my wife had a salad. 2 pints £70. 

It tells a story when the pilot that flew your plane in is in the duty free buying his booze lol.

nice place though 

I was in Skuli's bar in Reykjavik a couple of years ago and they had loads of designer IPA. The fanciest was a blueberry flavoured one sold in 200ml measures. When you flexed the price up it was £43 per pint...... 

23 hours ago, SootySport said:

£2 billion😀

I get 7% cashback on any bookings through Booking.com as well as some other well known travel search engines.....that would be a nice little payout🤪

But if I could afford £2 billion for 6 nights away then I wouldn't be that fussed about 7% cashback I guess🤣

But when you live there, your heating bill is about £15/month - and Iceland is the biggest producer of bananas in Europe! The two are linked.

I’ve decided not to go this year,  COVID regs keep changing. Don’t want to book anything and then be disappointed nearer the day of departure.  It’s going to be a staycation for the wife and I unless I can book something in Eire,  seems to be open doors to travel there.

Completely understand, we cancelled our family holiday to Mexico for April 2020 (fortunately got a full refund), since then we have cancelled 3 other small UK getaways due to Covid rules/lockdowns. 

We did book Lapland last year after Mexico was cancelled and we're due to go end of December 2021....fingers crossed by then we will be okay (kids can't wait), as like many others I'm sure, I never thought for one moment this would carry on as long as it has!

I think anyone booking a foreign holiday at the moment has to accept that is an extremely risky prospect. Do it by all means, but don’t p*** & moan if things change at any stage in proceedings and mess up your plans. I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the folk that got caught by the rule change on Portugal who then wail and wring their hands.

Then again, I am a grumpy b******d.

ETA went to Iceland for a long weekend break for the missus’ 40th. Fascinating place, really enjoyed it. The trip from Kevlavik airport to Reyjavik was what I imagine Mordor to be like :)   Went in February so plenty  of snow about.  Even back then, drink prices were crazy and we mostly drank the duty free we’d brought with us.  Stayed at Bjork’s gaff, the Hotel Borg.

10 minutes ago, corsechris said:

I think anyone booking a foreign holiday at the moment has to accept that is an extremely risky prospect. Do it by all means, but don’t p*** & moan if things change at any stage in proceedings and mess up your plans. I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the folk that got caught by the rule change on Portugal who then wail and wring their hands.

Then again, I am a grumpy b******d.

Completely agree, we wouldn't have dreamed off booking anything now or even towards the end off last year to go abroad, I think we booked it May 2020, like I said, I never thought we would still be in this position.

We only booked Lapland as something to look forward to thinking it will be all okay by then especially it not being the 'usual' type of holiday destination.

The 3 uk breaks we had booked and cancelled due to changing rules were dealt with but we were shocked that either the owner or agents of these holiday cottages (2 in Cornwall and 1 in Wales) all contacted us and said "don't worry about the rules it will be fine!"

• Like 1

I absolutely appreciate I have a different perspective on holidays being retired. I know how much I looked forward to them when I worked so I get it has to be hard to miss out.  I’m not completely heartless :)

I’m missing my holidays too. I still want to do a bit more diving before I’m too old.

• Like 1

We try and do a 'proper' holiday every 2-3 years, I'm not fussed with Spain, Portugal type of places, but we try and make it an adventure for the kids (maybe because I didn't go abroad when I was their age). We done Thailand in 2019 and moved around a little bit (the smiles on their faces more than made up for the cost!), and we are just researching Borneo for (hopefully) 2022/3, my daughters (and Wife!) are like me and love nature/rain forest type places, but as previously stated, until I/we have free reign with no restrictions I will continue to do the research.

Fingers crossed we are all heading in the right direction.

• Like 1