Mazda MX5 Mk 1 Roadgoing Competition / Track Car £1,600 - SOLD

Simon_Jones

For sale is my MX5 Mk1 1.8.  The car was put together as a roadgoing competition car, suitable for ‘standard class’ Hillclimb, Sprint, Autosolo, MX-5 Challenge, etc.  It is also a brilliant track day car and can reel in much more powerful cars, especially in the wet.

Spec:  1.8 engine with induction kit, free-flow tubular manifold, cat delete and single box sports exhaust (all stainless).  Lightened flywheel.  Meister R suspension properly set up with track geometry.  Polybushed suspension.  PAS delete with quicker manual rack.  Standard 1.8 brakes with M1144 pads all round.  Enkei lightweight wheels.  Monaco race seat with 6 point harness (standard passenger seat).  Roll bar.  Recent new radiator and hoses. 

The car has been lightened within ‘standard roadgoing’ regs, so retains dashboard, door cards, etc. but the cloth roof and mechanism has been replaced with a lighter (easily removable) hardtop.

Cosmetically, the car looks OK from a distance but the paintwork is faded mis-matched and has flaking lacquer.  There is a large dent on the rear NS quarter (Madgwick corner at Goodwood!). 

The current engine was put in a couple of years ago from lower mileage donor following a main bearing failure of the original tuned engine.  A new clutch was installed, so has done less than 1,500 miles.  A new MX5 Parts release bearing was fitted which annoyingly squeaks when cold, but this disappears when warm.

Time has not allowed the race engine to be rebuilt, but it will be included in the sale.  It has a ported, polished and skimmed head which really pulls through to the red line.  Pistons and block good (still show honing marks) and a good replacement crank and bottom end.  Just requires main bearing shells and putting together.  Alternatively, the race head could be put on the current engine.  

MOT until 26.10.21 and owned by myself since August 2016.  

If you are looking for a low-cost competition car, or a properly set up MX5 for trackdays, this car will tick the boxes.  £1,600

IMG-0195.jpg

IMG-0196.jpg

20210601_171928.jpg

20210601_171633.jpg

20210601_172235.jpg

20210601_172324.jpg

IMG-0197.jpg

20210601_172212.jpg

IMG-0198.jpg

IMG-0199.jpg

IMG-0206.jpg

IMG-0209.jpg

IMG-0203.jpg

Edited by Simon_Jones
added picture and marked as sold

This time next year when my daughter has hopefully passed her test.....I’ve told her I’ll get Lionel so she can come and have track days. This would have been perfect, just too soon. 

Someone’s going to get a belter. 

The car is now SOLD and moving to Cheshire.  There was a lot of interest and it will definitely put a smile on the new owners face!  Thanks for the comments on this forum.

Due to a change of direction I will shortly be advertising my roadgoing Westfield competition car.  It is a 270Hp Duratec, well known within Speed Series circles and highly competitive.  Watch this space.........!

0837.thumb.JPG.2f5c26ef74c7948268058ea3c01f7404.JPG

• Simon_Jones changed the title to Mazda MX5 Mk 1 Roadgoing Competition / Track Car £1,600 - SOLD

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.