Spot the IVA failure points....

IainCameron

I’ve got a surplus Westfield IVA friendly wheel and crash pad if needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IainCameron said:

Good thinking, Jared.  I'll do a temperature check tomorrow after I check exactly how 'sharp' the edges are.  I'm not too keen on gluing the trim onto the heat shield, but I guess I can always rub it down afterwards.

If you do glue it, try putting the glue on the underside edge at the back of the silencer then stretch the trim all the way so it's taught then glue again at the same spot.

• Thanks 1

Do the terminals on your starter motor have rubber boots on them?

I would get some covers put on the lower ball joint nuts. If you have m8 caps heat them up with a heat gun then push them on

Regarding the steering wheel. I passed with the attached recently so I don’t think they’ll be to fussed about the edges. They will however be bothered about you having the crushable boss which I think you have.

1ABFA11D-7718-4214-BD6C-5A70B05A4CCA.jpeg

• Like 1

Are any of the rear exhaust mounts contactable? If they are, move the shield back to cover them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

I would get some covers put on the lower ball joint nuts. If you have m8 caps heat them up with a heat gun then push them on

Good idea, Paul, I'll give that a try.  If not, I'll silicone some M10 covers over them.

9 hours ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

Do the terminals on your starter motor have rubber boots on them?

Yes, all covered up.

Does the handbrake cable interfere with the hydraulic brake lines at all, if so just cable tie the handbrake cable to the wishbones. I actually cable tied them to the rear arb.

• Like 1

An afternoon of pre-emptive IVA snagging, starting with the steering wheel.  I'm fairly sure that I could have passed with my wheel as it was, but given that I have some padded vinyl loafing around, I thought I'd make a 'pad' to cover the metal spokes of the wheel.  Not as easy as I thought... and spot the deliberate mistake:

36852209_IVAsteeringwheel.jpg.8ceea73c333f709f6bae5ac4d5afa10e.jpg

A quick trim with Stan the Knife, and the old horn press fits the hole which I cut so the steering wheel could actually be bolted onto the column.  How I chuckled when I realised what I'd done.

1911383027_IVAsteeringwheelcorrected.jpg.3a28c078c200378c0d2a272f4aa7c8f2.jpg

And lastly, a frenzy of nut and bolt cover adaptations.  M8s weren't playing, so I adapted some M10 covers with a reasonable degree of success.

1419995695_IVAnutcovers.jpg.9af4518059e24f0e9adcd2b35369d958.jpg

I'll go and check the handbrake cable/ hydraulic line interactions next, as recommended by @Paul Aspden The 2nd .

And I haven't got any closer to solving the problem of what to do with the cable runs to the headlights and indicators.  Does anyone with an FW nose have any pictures of how they ran the wires?  I'm sure mine have too much unsecured cable, but I can't see how to overcome the issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IainCameron said:

An afternoon of pre-emptive IVA snagging, starting with the steering wheel.  I'm fairly sure that I could have passed with my wheel as it was, but given that I have some padded vinyl loafing around, I thought I'd make a 'pad' to cover the metal spokes of the wheel.  Not as easy as I thought... and spot the deliberate mistake:

A quick trim with Stan the Knife, and the old horn press fits the hole which I cut so the steering wheel could actually be bolted onto the column.  How I chuckled when I realised what I'd done.

And lastly, a frenzy of nut and bolt cover adaptations.  M8s weren't playing, so I adapted some M10 covers with a reasonable degree of success.

I'll go and check the handbrake cable/ hydraulic line interactions next, as recommended by @Paul Aspden The 2nd .

And I haven't got any closer to solving the problem of what to do with the cable runs to the headlights and indicators.  Does anyone with an FW nose have any pictures of how they ran the wires?  I'm sure mine have too much unsecured cable, but I can't see how to overcome the issue.

I put two connectors on mine - one for each side, near the FW bonnet hinges, so if I ever want to take the bonnet off I to do work, it's easily done. Routing the wiring under the steering rack, and as close to the hinges as possible means you don't have loose slack to allow for opening/closing it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO said:

I put two connectors on mine - one for each side

Did you have to extend the wires, Andrew?  I think I've come to the same conclusion, but there's no way my loom will run the long way down and back up again as it's back-to-front being a Pinto set-up.  I was hoping not to have to cut into the looms but I can't see a way around it.

The boot over the TRE nut....I’d pull it away from the TRE a wee bit so it isn’t touching the boot of the balljoint.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IainCameron said:

A quick trim with Stan the Knife, and the old horn press fits the hole which I cut so the steering wheel could actually be bolted onto the column.  How I 

Can quite tell in this photo but just to be sure, the wiring in the convoluted cover looks close the shock absorber spring. Just be sure to secure it so it couldn't be squashed in the spring.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IainCameron said:

Hi Ian,  got my IVA coming up so can’t really comment on potential issues,  but for the light cables I’d did this.

I lengthened them a touch then ran them down the nose cone and along under the radiator,  then up the chassis.  They cross at a point where the nose cone moves the least when you open it so very little slack needed.

EA60214F-92E0-4BF3-8D0D-608C16492261.jpeg

D31320FF-B0E0-47FB-944E-AE02B1952BE8.jpeg

2DAD364E-5B11-4E90-9851-7C34E66A7C04.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Haroldgas said:

I lengthened them a touch then ran them down the nose cone and along under the radiator,  then up the chassis.  They cross at a point where the nose cone moves the least when you open it so very little slack needed.

Thanks Harold, I think that's going to be my best solution too.  Did you use the original connectors, or did you add a couple of new (bigger) ones into the lengthened looms?  It would be nice to simplify the whole lot, so instead of having 2 x indicator plus 2 x headlight connectors, I'm thinking of cutting the original connectors out and just having a pair of larger connectors at the hinge point.  But that's a bit more work than simply extending wires.  At least I've got a month to sort it out!

Good luck with your IVA.

• Like 1