Moved house, nobody local wants to MOT a Westfield.............. Apparently

Lyonspride

Funny this should come up again..........

Can't get anyone to test my car it would seem, took it to a place today, used them before but it's under new management, they won't test it because of the emissions rules. They say it should have a cat emissions test because it was registered after 1992.

They also say this:

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle’s registration document (V5c). If the V5c does not show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test.

overrides this:

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:

• kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
  • w**kel rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
  • Q plated vehicles

They were nice enough guys, just scared of losing their testing licence.

I then went to another garage nearby only to be told they won't do kitcars.

I had this nonsense 5 years ago, it's about time the DVSA sorted this out. I'm going to phone the DVSA on monday as ask them to email me something stating "this car should be tested on emissions as if registered before 1975", this is just crazy.

25 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

Have you seen this from @Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO ?

I do recall this, however i'm on a V reg, registered 1994.

To me the MOT guidelines seem quite conclusive, but to the average MOT tester who scared on losing their licence, it's as clear as mud.

I think the confusion stems from the first paragraph being titled "KItcars", even though that section only applies to kitcars from 1998 onwards.

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:

• kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
  • w**kel rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
  • Q plated  vehicles

The above is the first part of section 8 Nuisance, which covers emissions, and was the pre-existing legislation. This is not overuled by the newer legislation below that applies to newer kit cars only.

4 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle’s registration document (V5c). If the V5c does not show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or  IVA test.

I might add that if a test station is refusing to test a vehicle that they are clearly approved to test, you can complain/appeal this as they must have a valid reason to refuse. Clearly, the fact that they do not understand the rules is not a valid reason and could land them in trouble with DVSA.

• Like 2

I've MOTed mine at Halfords and ATS, both have been booked on line, and I've not had a problem. I hang around to show them the jacking points and the switches, but beyond that it's been easy. 

Just been on the phone to DVSA, short answer is not much they can do if people aren't reading the document correctly. Suggested getting a weekday MOT and asking them to call DVSA if they're unsure.

Fabtastic news, I just got this email (personal info redacted).

I have to say this is a great response from the DVSA

DVSA_M1.jpg

• Like 2

Good news, I guess the real key to this now,  is how you use this to convince your local garages to give you a fair test and not 'p155 them off' and give you such an in depth test that it makes an IVA look quick and easy!

I am glad you recieved an appropriate response from DVSA.