Mx5 column to mini wipers

Chris Hooper

All I can get is one speed on the wipers and wash is this okay for the IVA ? The stalk has several speeds indicated. If I took the stalk off and just fitted a switch on the dash would this work ok ?

IVA requires two speeds. The rules are pretty specific about frequency of sweep too. At the risk of sounding like a dick, best to read the IVA manual! :)

Latest version here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

1. The vehicle must be fitted with a windscreen washer and wiper system sufficient to give the driver an adequate view of the road.
2. All front wipers must continue to move automatically over the swept area of the windscreen (see Note 1).
3. All front wipers must have at least two sweep frequencies one of which must be of at least 45 cycles/min (see Note 2).
4. Additional Sweep frequencies must be of not less than 10 and not more than 55 cycles/minute (see Note 1).
5. The difference between the highest and at least one of the lower sweep frequencies must be at least 15 cycles/minute (see Note 2).
6. All front wipers must return automatically to a position of rest which is at or beyond the outer edge of the swept area.
7. All front wipers must be capable of being lifted from the windscreen to allow for cleaning of the windscreen.
8. The windscreen washer system must provide enough liquid to adequately clear the windscreen in conjunction with the wipers.
9. The windscreen washer system must have a reservoir capacity of at least 1 litre.
10. The windscreen washer system must be able to withstand the load applied when the nozzles are blocked and the system is operated for 3 􏰆 5 seconds

• Like 1

Ok it looks like I need the stalk to work. Does anyone have experience of this problem?
Thanks. 

Check your wiring, you should be able to get two speeds quite easily with the Mazda switchgear.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue with mine, but it was sporadic - one speed and not parking. Turned out that the electrical contacts in the mazda switches that had become corroded. Opened up the unit, cleaned up with new electrical contact grease and worked as it should. 

Hi Chris, not sure if it’s the same issue or not but I seem to remember the wiring was shown incorrect in the manual but can’t remember what issue it gave me but sure it was something to do with speed. Here’s  a photo of what I altered to correct if it’s any help?

94FAD8D0-BF58-4327-BBC8-455B1BE13E4A.jpeg

Hi Chris, as Glynn has posted, the manual is wrong as it has the live and earth switched.

try these two threads which show how I wired my car.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/102959-wiper-motor-fitment-on-mx-5-sdv/?p=1067264
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/78072-mx5-wiper-wiring/?p=779599