CVH with twin 40's.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

I have a CVH with twin 40 DCOE Webers. I also have the standard Ford ecu for the engine.

Does anyone have any experience with this set up, will it work? More importantly, will it pass IVA?

hi, i have no experience of iva at all, but i would suspect it would be the webers that would fail based on emissions, what did the cvh first have for fueling, i am guessing efi... not sure if you could get away with fitting a cat either,  the webers would destroy it in no time.

happy for others to comment and then i will learn something new ☺️

The engine is 1992, so probably no efi and no cat. Need to know if the standard ignition only ecu will work.

Learning something new all the time, that's the fun part.

there was someone on locost builders not long ago who managed to get a xflow on webers through an iva with no cat, so it may well be based age of engine in terms of emissions then.

i am guessing then if your engine was running a carb before in the donor, then a igni only ecu should indeed work.all it is doing is providing a signal to the coil / coil pack.

14 minutes ago, John Dolan - Chairman said:

The engine is 1992

From memory, the cut-offs are:

pre-1975 engine (no visible smoke),

up to 1986 (fairly lenient emissions test),

up to 1992 (not quite as lenient emission test)

Post 1992 (might as well be a new engine as the tests get quite stringent).

Look under Metered Emissions in the IVA handbook and there's a handy flow chart... you may be lucky depending on which month in 1992!  (Just noticed that the handbook was re-published in Oct 20, so I'd better re-read it as the last version was 2018)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/930247/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

• Thanks 1

said flow charts, interesting reading,

thanks iain.

2034100777_Screenshot_2021-05-05IndividualVehicleApproval(IVA)inspectionmanualcars-individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-man...(1).png.811d0415cab98df4f9f9b59ff7d60c93.png1047448593_Screenshot_2021-05-05IndividualVehicleApproval(IVA)inspectionmanualcars-individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-man....png.e866a4f69988ed16a0a08b4c8c4db686.png

You'd need to prove it was pre Aug 92 or you'd struggle with webers even with a cat.

being a ford engine, the burtons website has a page where you can see the month of the engine and have heard that they would take this as the proof, although i have never done that myself.

https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-manufacture-dates.html

or

1420318163_Screenshot_2021-05-05FordManufactureDates.png.b5e6ba29073078c379da462dcc1fbbe8.png

the first two letters of your engine number should begin with n if its a 92.

TBH and IMO, if the engine is pre-August ‘92, it would be initially simpler to ditch the EFI box and get a used CVH distributor and cap and rotor from FleaBay or a breaker rather than trying to make the Ford EFI work.

Or if you want to go the other direction you can ditch the 40s and go ITBs as I did (see link below).

If the engine is post August ‘92 though, you’re going to struggle mightily getting 40s to work with an IVA.  They’re pumping fuel in like a fire hose by comparison to the factory injection.

• 3 months later...

Date code on the engine is PT. 1974? That doesn’t make sense.

1600cc.

I suspect you’re either looking at the wrong number in the wrong place, or you need to go to Specsavers! 😆 IIRC, the number is on a small ridge at the front right side (near side) close to the alternator bracket mounting point.

Is the engine number on the car’s V5 per chance or is this a swap?