Rear view mirror and roof question

Marc Henry

Hello, 

I've just picked up a 1992 Sei and am absolutely loving it. A couple of hundred miles in the last week has reminded me exactly why I had a Westfield before ! 

I'm slowly making a list of bits to tweak and improve over next winter. However, one more pressing issue is how the plastic section at the front of the roof should meet the windscreen. Should it clip over the top ? The rear view mirror seems to be attached in a very 'non factory' way (photo attached).  

Any thought s from someone more experienced would be appreciated. 

Thanks.   

RVM.jpeg

OldStager

welcome.

well thats one way to stop it falling off the screen, i ended up with a bulkhead mounted one due to the falling off bit.

i cant comment on your roof channel as i made mine, but yes they normally are a u channel that fits over the screen frame.although with the mirror where it is, the channel would need to be cut to fit around the bracket i would have thought.

• Like 1
Marc Henry

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember getting irritated with the suction cup style mirror on my old car that had a habit of falling off at every opportunity ! 
Hopefully there are some better ones on the market now. 

OldStager
12 minutes ago, Marc Henry said:

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember getting irritated with the suction cup style mirror on my old car that had a habit of falling off at every opportunity ! 
Hopefully there are some better ones on the market now. 

i am sure someone will post what they have that doesnt fall off all the time, and it seems there are glues available now a days that also help. mine tended to fall off in summer when the rubber suction pad softened.

Sean Walsh - Devon and Somerset AO

Hi,

Yes, the channel fits over the top of the screen, so your mirror will be in just the wrong place.

The groove in the channel should locate on a bolt which I suspect has been removed and your mirror fixed over the bolt hole.

Hope this is helpful.

W

BigSkyBrad
14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Yes the mirror should be on the glass not the frame. 

I could never keep mine on with the sticky pads. But this worked

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/adhesives/loctite-rear-view-mirror-adhesive-kit-464404.html

Me too, gave up on the sticky pads and used the Halfords glue. One good thing for the sticky pads though was that the pads damped out the vibration and the mirror was clear at any rpm - now that it's hard-glued to the screen, the vision is blurry.

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO
17 hours ago, OldStager said:

i am sure someone will post what they have that doesnt fall off all the time

I had a standard suction cup mirror, and it stayed affixed!!