Update from DVLA on registration of new sport 250 westfield kit

Mike424u

Having eventually got through to the DVLA, I have spoken to Danielle

The hold up with my registration is this.

DVLA have been in contact with Westfield, as they require proof that the engine, gearbox and diff are brand new.

Even though westfield have supplied me with these parts and a recipt as brand new as part of my kit, They will not except Westfields certificates or recipts.   As westfield do not make ford engines, or Mazda gearbox or Diff.

They require receipts and proof of purchase that westfield have purchased these as brand new.

How bizarre is this, basicly they are saying they dont trust westfield and there recipts to me are not worth the paper they are written on.

Time to call westfield and get this sorted out. As im sure westfield just buy the engines from Powertorque,  not sure where they buy the gearbox or diff.

If you trying to register a bran new westfield kit, you might want to call and check this on your application.

i may be completely wrong, but i always thought it was new or reconditioned driveline parts got you a new reg, have the rules changed...

7 minutes ago, OldStager said:

i may be completely wrong, but i always thought it was new or reconditioned driveline parts got you a new reg, have the rules changed...

You are allowed ONE reconditioned part. So engine OR gearbox OR diff. 

I think some bloke called Fotoh Shoppe provides the receipts for lots of kit cars and that’s why they occasionally pull one out of the bag to do a thorough check. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

How mad, this isn't the first Sport250! How did you fare @Adge Cutler- Dorset AO or @Steve (sdh2903) on this aspect?

1 minute ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

How mad, this isn't the first Sport250! How did you fare @Adge Cutler- Dorset AO or @Steve (sdh2903) on this aspect?

i was thinking the same, its not like you got the parts from dodgy johns scrapyard, this is westfield afterall. maybe they just pick one application out and check it and mike has been the unlucky one.

Well I didn't buy a full kit and couldn't possibly comment in public ;)

If your building a Westfield that is bought from Westfield and all the invoices are from Westfield I really don't know how they can be picky on it. 

It unfortunately sounds like you've got someone from a different Dept processing your application who doesn't deal with kits on a regular basis

I'd speak to Westfield as they will have contacts at the dvla and should be able to assist. 

Been on the phone to westfield, Mark Walker not aviable at present, but he knows about it, its been going on while and he is trying to deal with it. Im sure this isnt first time something like this has come up.

Its the normal assessors at DVLA, just applying the rules they have, probably part of their work to rule etc, and Westfield need to provide evidence of where they purchased the engine gearbox and diff.

Could be some kind of leagal issue with Westifeld and DVLA.

Either way Im now stuck in the middle. 

• Sad 4

That's pants. Would've been nice if WF had warned anybody in build as I guess this will affect every full kit and not just the s250. 

Am guessing that would apply to all the major components engine, box, diff, suspension brakes etc and the factory won't be prepared to hand all that out as will be commercially sensitive. 

What a **** show. Hope you get sorted soon 🤞

i wonder then if the cat 7 builders are having the same issues... they must be...

The DVLA’s logic here makes no sense (no surprise).

As consumers just about everything we buy is via a retailer or dealer, whether it’s car parts or toothpaste.  And rarely is anything we buy bought directly from the manufacturer of the product. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike424u said:

Either way Im now stuck in the middle. I will be asking for compensation for supplying me with kit that DVLA will not register as new.

Is all of the above worded correctly?

If you are trying to register the car you purchased from Richard Cannon which i infact sold Richard the rolling chassis and then richard went onto spend alot of money with westfield purchasing the engine and alot of the other expensive parts that were needed to finish it westfield didnt infact supply YOU with the kit ! So Good luck with the compensation claim.

The situation you are talking about is not uncommon and i have heard of other kit car manufacturers having to supply the paperwork you are talking about and i was speaking to somebody at a show a couple of years ago that had the same problem registering their westfield  and the dvla and westfield worked together to get the car road register it just took abit longer

I think its just bad luck with your application some fly through the procedure and others just take that bit longer to get sorted but I'm sure westfield will do the very best for you 

The issue is with the engine, gearbox and diff, certification,  as its not made by westfield them selfs, DVLA told me that Westfield need to provide evedence that these parts are new, and will not excpet westfields certificate of conformity for the complete kit, as they dont make it all IE: The engine and gearbox, diff, Ford engine, mazda gearbox, mazda diff. All westfield need to do is supply the DVLA with proof of purchase as new from their supplier. Ford engine came via powertorque, at a guess, but no idea where they buy the gearbox or diff.  Its very anoying to have to try and get this proof at this stage.  Im guessing their some issue with new DVLA rules and westfield.  Mark Walker knows about it, and waiting to here how they are going to resolve it.

40 minutes ago, Mike424u said:

The issue is with the engine, gearbox and diff, certification,  as its not made by westfield them selfs, DVLA told me that Westfield need to provide evedence that these parts are new, and will not excpet westfields certificate of conformity for the complete kit, as they dont make it all IE: The engine and gearbox, diff, Ford engine, mazda gearbox, mazda diff. All westfield need to do is supply the DVLA with proof of purchase as new from their supplier. Ford engine came via powertorque, at a guess, but no idea where they buy the gearbox or diff.  Its very anoying to have to try and get this proof at this stage.  Im guessing their some issue with new DVLA rules and westfield.  Mark Walker knows about it, and waiting to here how they are going to resolve it.

That's utter rubbish on behalf of the DVLA. Loads of car manufacturers buy in these parts rather than manufacturing in house, and it's the car brand that retains the CoC, not the manufacturer of the parts. Jag, for years, used Ford engines. Mini use BMW engines etc. As for gearboxes and diffs, most major OEMs use the likes of ZF etc. I can promise you that the DVLA don't resist when Jag or Mini claim their parts are new.

That's the whole point of a CoC. You don't have to test every single car when you've proven that your sourcing/production standards are up to scratch!

I wouldn't be blaming Westfield for this in any way, shape, or form. They're doing the right thing by not just caving to the DVLA, as they'd be setting a dangerous precedent. 

• Like 2

I can only tell you what the DVLA have told me direct. Its up to the orginal supplier to prove where the engine, gearbox @ diff where obtained as new.

I will just have wait and see where it goes. I have no issues with westfield or the kit, it was supplied brand new and I have all the recipts, with matching numbers for the engine, gearbox and diff.

It is the Engine certifcate of newness that they wont excpet without proof of where westfield got the engine, gearbox and diff from.