Peugeot Problems

mikef

On 23/04/2021 at 21:17, Glen_I said:

To be honest if I recall, it's only a pair off T30 torx screws holding airbag on, disconnect battery before proceeding, also I don't think the screws come all the way out, once this is done remove airbag and 'carefully' remove the 2 pin airbag connector plug and that's it. 

Remove steering wheel bolt, mark steering wheel as I don't recall if the spline had a Master to ensure it can only be fitted in one place (as this was a PSA/Toyota venture it doesn't share the same mechanical architecture as Peugeot due to it being more Toyota, and I didn't have a great deal to do with them before I left the dealership)

The steering wheel may need a few clouts with the palm of your hands on either side and that should loosen it so it can be removed.

The indicator stalk/clamp assembly will be straight forward to remove then, once the cowling has been removed.

Airbags can only go off it they are subjected to an electrical charge or heat. They are actually designed to off in a fire because deployment neutralises the hazardous chemicals they contain.  They won't go off if you knock them, drop them, hit them with a hammer etc.  I know this for fact because I used to work in car recycling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Airbags can only go off it they are subjected to an electrical charge

Even the small voltage from a multimeter that's emitted when checking resistance is enough to trigger a airbag.

But yes, whilst they should be treated with a sense of respect you certainly don't need to treat them like a ticking time bomb when handling.

Perseverance has paid off and I won't have to disconnect the airbag.

I rang this morning in high dudgeon because they hadn't called last Friday as promised.  I suggested that it would be better if they just told me they were not interested in helping me and save me the trouble of constantly ringing them.  However, the lovely lady I spoke to asked me to wait a few minutes while she read the case history  and she then said Peugeot would cover the full replacement of the indicator unit at the local dealership.  

She said she would email me and the dealership within the hour with the details and all I had to do was to book the car in.  30 minutes later the email arrived as promised.

Overall, a good result but hard work in getting there.  Nevertheless, many thanks to Lizzie for bringing it to a conclusion.

• Like 7

I'm glad for you... and really surprised...

I had no hopes whatsoever that a 4 year old part would be covered at all.

Congratulations!

Thank you.  The part is only 3.5 years old.  I was also surprised in that I thought I might get a contribution towards the cost.  However, I think a lot of it was down to the poor responses, or lack of responses, that I had received over the 3 weeks of contact.

I accept the car is 10 years old but it has only done 39K miles and I can understand one unit failing but then to have another one fail is unacceptable in my opinion.  I am in my 70s and have owned many many cars without ever having to replace an indicator unit on any of them.

So it really was a point of principle.  I have also e-mailled the lady concerned to thank her for cutting through the verbiage and bringing the matter to a close.  

15 minutes ago, mikef said:

Thank you.  The part is only 3.5 years old.  I was also surprised in that I thought I might get a contribution towards the cost.  However, I think a lot of it was down to the poor responses, or lack of responses, that I had received over the 3 weeks of contact.

I accept the car is 10 years old but it has only done 39K miles and I can understand one unit failing but then to have another one fail is unacceptable in my opinion.  I am in my 70s and have owned many many cars without ever having to replace an indicator unit on any of them.

So it really was a point of principle.  I have also e-mailled the lady concerned to thank her for cutting through the verbiage and bringing the matter to a close.  

glad to hear it all worked out for you. i am pleased they honored the claim eventually, but as you say it should not have failed so quickly. lets hope the new one lasts a bit longer...