Action Cam time again

Andy - a15cro

ive been looking into this recently specifically the gps for track location and what not but i cant find anywhere on the interwebs what mhz the gps works at. 

i have a sjcam sj7 star and i wouldnt recommend it either. i also have an amazon cheap campark thing basically the cheapest one they sell and its been more reliable than the sjcam. the sjcam is so awkward to get running when in the car.

1 hour ago, cast iron said:

both of the cameras either cut out or battery goes flat, potentially I could face a £400 fine if i can't produce footage should I need to. then there is the editing and the max footage being only 15 mins,

I use a Hero 3 too, and it does for some reason chop the files up into 18min max sessions, but it records everything. I use an external mic and a battery eliminator back, which has been mostly good. Occasionally I've come in and the camera is off, so I presume it's dropped it's power connection.. probably because there's a cig lighter type of socket involved.. I should eliminate it really.. Data is from a racelogic VBox sport, overlaid with Race render.

46 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It does for some reason chop the files up into 18min max sessions

Maximum file size for the format used on the Micro SD card 👍 (4Gb IIRC)

I have (had, seem to have lost it) a Hero 3 and liked it too. No fancy stuff but a lot of it is temperamental as described above!

• Thanks 1

I just got in touch with GoPro support - seems my camera might have a defective GPS as it shouldn't be losing as much data as it clearly is.

So it's getting returned for a replacement - which could take 10-15 days and thus I will be camera-less 😞 (should not have sold the my one - muppet)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Why not send it back after cadders?

Yeah - sounds like a plan.

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

Maximum file size for the format used on the Micro SD card 👍 (4Gb IIRC)

Is there any way around that Adam? (bigger sd card?)  .. not that it's a real problem, as the software just automatically stiches them together.  

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Is there any way around that Adam? (bigger sd card?)  .. not that it's a real problem, as the software just automatically stiches them together.  

the hero 3 is limited to 32gb max card size I think Andrew 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

the hero 3 is limited to 32gb max card size I think Andrew 

Just had a look, and I'm using a 64gb.. I know it will get most of a trackday on it if I miss out the warming up sessions first thing. 

Edit. It's a Hero 3+ if that makes any difference.

24 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Thanks Ian.. so its all to do with Fat32. 🙂

"Put more succinctly, if you format a 32GB microSD card in your GoPro, it will format as FAT32. If you format a 64GB memory card in the same camera, it will automatically format the card as exFAT. In both cases, the GoPro will still limit the maximum filesize to 4GB."

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2021 at 21:38, Chris King said:

I have the Hero 9. 

I didn’t think the GPS worked but that was the crap GoPro Quik software not being compatible on a desktop. So you can only use a mobile or tablet to download 20-30gb of data and edit it 🙄

I also have a “media mod” to allow external power and mic. But now think that this might block gps signal a little 🤬

Still evaluating and will let you know how I get on as I’ve only used it twice so far 

Hi Chris, did you resolve your issues, I'm having the same problem with my hero 7, the gopro software seems terrible on my laptop, not playing videos properly. I have the mic adaptor and external mic.

The DJI Osmo price has just been slashed again £279 Argos or £269 Jessops.

1 hour ago, JamesGN said:

Hi Chris, did you resolve your issues, I'm having the same problem with my hero 7, the gopro software seems terrible on my laptop, not playing videos properly. I have the mic adaptor and external mic.

Nope - it’s going back for a replacement