Action Cam time again

Andy - a15cro

I have a couple of the original GoPro Hero HD’s, ones mine one is my sons, I’ve tried numerous times on track and run outs, but never had any good results. The battery doesn’t last, it’s just too outdated, so I’m considering a new one for my birthday.

the two,options are GoPro 9 or a DJI Osmo Action Cam, there’s numerous YouTube videos and they seem to be quite close, however I would like to know what are you running, pro’s and con’s. I would love to learn a bit of video editing as I’ve never mastered it yet. I also like the track info that @Rush Motorsport had in his latest adventure.

Mines a GoPro 5 I bought factory refurbished, the first ones with GPS for telemetry.

The sound isn’t very good, the battery life is crap and the GoPro software is awful.

Apart from that, recommended. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Mines a GoPro 5 I bought factory refurbished, the first ones with GPS for telemetry.

The sound isn’t very good, the battery life is crap and the GoPro software is awful.

Apart from that, recommended. 

I would consider a power cable if that would be possible, the points you raise is the reason I looked to diversify to another brand.

Spare batteries (none genuine) are cheap enough, but it’s faff

@a15croHave you considered a 360 camera? The quality post YouTube upload isn’t good but you get the idea. The true recording is great. The software you get with an insta camera is also pretty good and easy to use.

I’m using an insta 360 X2 with an adaptor so it is powered and has an external mic to avoid the wind noise.

You can also add stats to the video but it seems to lag by a few seconds but that’s probably my fault.

I have the Hero 9. 

I didn’t think the GPS worked but that was the crap GoPro Quik software not being compatible on a desktop. So you can only use a mobile or tablet to download 20-30gb of data and edit it 🙄

I also have a “media mod” to allow external power and mic. But now think that this might block gps signal a little 🤬

Still evaluating and will let you know how I get on as I’ve only used it twice so far 

• Like 1

I’ve seen the 360 is that the module one where you can switch it round? 

1 minute ago, a15cro said:

I’ve seen the 360 is that the module one where you can switch it round? 

Mine is the one X2 and isn’t modular like the one R.

8 minutes ago, Chris King said:

I have the Hero 9. 

I didn’t think the GPS worked but that was the crap GoPro Quik software not being compatible on a desktop. So you can only use a mobile or tablet to download 20-30gb of data and edit it 🙄

I also have a “media mod” to allow external power and mic. But now think that this might block gps signal a little 🤬

Still evaluating and will let you know how I get on as I’ve only used it twice so far 

You can use quik on desktop (I do) but then windows video editor for the edits

2 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

You can use quik on desktop (I do) but then windows video editor for the edits

Hero 8 and 9 not fully supported - can’t extract telemetry amongst other things. They are dropping Quik desktop and not updating it. So you are expected to download huge files to a chuffin mobile phone to do the edits!

I have 3rd party software for telemetry though and can use Adobe Premiere and After Effects if I want to do any edits (don’t do windows)

Need to do more tests with the myriad of setting combos - it’s a bit too clever for its own good - but quality is nice. 

I have Hero 9 and something similar to this fitted permanently in the car (front and rear cams,  both cameras turn on when you start the car.)

Both videos are here

The in car cameras are 1080P , but I compressed the file while editing (3 hrs), so lost some quality.)

I use Race Render on a PC to get GPS, speed data from the Go pro. As Chris said Gopros strategy to  use video processing on a phone tablet is odd, there isn't any current/up to date Gopro PC (Windows) software. I copy files to a PC an use other software to edit/process.

The Hero 9 is my first Go pro. The image quality and the  processing (stabilisation) it performs while recording is stunning, (A video here of my dog with the go pro on her back.  The camera was bouncing all over the place and the go pro stabilised the picture while recording, not in  post processing.

You can also see in the Cadwell video the Go pro is focusing processing on keeping the background stable and smooth. It makes foreground image appear to Pan around slightly (the image of the car in the foreground moves around slightly)

Having spent years avoiding  buying one,  I'm sold on the go pro. It isn't just a dumb camera,  and with 2 batteries I managed a track day, but you can also use power leads (if you buy a Gopro adapter/case)

• Like 1

One point - the Hero9 has a great feature called “quick start”. So no more pressing one button, wait.... press another to record. You just tap the record button once and it powers up and records. 

Great... but... if you use that then the gps doesn’t get a fix and do you lose telemetry!

So if you want track overlays, don’t use quick start - and wait for a gps fix. 

also careful you don’t hit time lapse by mistake - although it does make me look fast for a change 🤣

31 minutes ago, Chris King said:

Great... but... if you use that then the gps doesn’t get a fix and do you lose telemetry!

I only used quick start a Cadwell last week.. GPS all ok.. maybe I was lucky?

I'll check my firmware version and send it to you

good timelapse.. (Benny hill speed):p

44 minutes ago, Trevturtle said:

I only used quick start a Cadwell last week.. GPS all ok.. maybe I was lucky?

I'll check my firmware version and send it to you

I have latest firmware (1.52) - but maybe didn’t when I was at Blyton when QuickStart didn’t provide any useable gps. 

You can see here - telemetry was all over the shop (although I did take Bishops at 75mph 😜)

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 09.29.08.png

Then I accelerated to 15mph!! (shift lights show 5500 rpm in 3rd which is 72 really)

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 09.48.25.png

Another big no for Go Pro, had a 3 and now a 7,

For me it's compulsory in races to have a recording device and it must show the drivers hands. both of the cameras either cut out or battery goes flat, potentially I could face a £400 fine if i can't produce footage should I need to. then there is the editing and the max footage being only 15 mins, and the software wont run on an apple mac. I think I bought the 7 in hope, but another £250 wasted, steer clear buy something cheap probably made in asia